Thread: fedora core 2, usbcore.o, multi-card reader....help needed please

Blast From the Past

fedora core 2, usbcore.o, multi-card reader....help needed please

hello
    im using a fully upgraded version of fedora core 2 *except for the kernel...its stock install...updated kernel kills my internet*
    i wish to use my internal usb multicard reader

i found a tutorial i can use
    http://www.linux-sxs.org/hardware/flashreaders.html

on this page it lists the following

usb-storage 62064 0
    scsi_mod 107240 6 [usb-storage st sd_mod sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
    usb-uhci 26188 0 (unused)
    usbcore 77056 1 [usb-storage hid usb-uhci]

i have all but usbcore and it isn not included in the system

i wish to add this though and preferably have it boot with the system....
    if someone can direct me to some source code and tell me how to use modules i would be very happy....please dont tell me i have to download and recomplie kernel.....that is 1 thing that i cant do...i got it to work once...and then nothing worked right......so if that is the case i will need more of your time

thanks guys
    happy chrismahalaquanzaka
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

If you have usb-storage you have usb-core. Likely the distribution kernel you have includes the usb-core stuff compiled into the kernel, but usb-storage and usb-uhci are kernel modules.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Blast From the Past
    i know usb-core is a module...but i dont have it..or i am unable to locate it....do you know of any well known and obscure places i should check?....also while searching on google before starting this thread i came over doezens of posts in other fourms explaining how they did not have usb-core included with fedora core 2 or 3*im using core 2*...il keep searching....il probably end up having to recompile the kernel anyway
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Originally posted here by hexadecimal
    i know usb-core is a module...but i dont have it..or i am unable to locate it....do you know of any well known and obscure places i should check?....also while searching on google before starting this thread i came over doezens of posts in other fourms explaining how they did not have usb-core included with fedora core 2 or 3*im using core 2*...il keep searching....il probably end up having to recompile the kernel anyway
    Does Redhat/Fedora still dump the kernel config into /boot/config-kernelversion ? If so, paste the contents of the file.
    Just so you know, what I was saying in my previous post is that usb-core doesn't HAVE to be a module. IIRC ANY USB stuff will fail if you don't have usb-core loaded -- whether compiled directly into the kernel or loaded as a module.

To further drive home the point, right now on my box I have an external USB HDD connected and mounted, yet NO USB stuff shows in my lsmod:
    $ lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    lp 9188 0
    parport 39744 1 lp
    tuner 19480 0
    msp3400 22420 0
    bttv 141472 1
    video_buf 20160 1 bttv
    btcx_risc 4356 1 bttv
    btaudio 14096 2
    nvidia 3468672 20
    That's because I've compiled in support for everything USB.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?