Can you say...Boycott?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you say...Boycott?

********** |ceWriterguy

Angry Can you say...Boycott?

This story aired on NBC news this evening and prompted me to do a bit of googling to share it here.

http://www.ashbrook.org/publicat/ope...04/target.html

Target's (mis)management should be ashamed! These people help when and where no others are able or willing to do so. They will never again receive so much as 1 penny in revenues from me until they once again permit the Salvation Army bellringers at their stores. If you're in agreement, please by all means boycott as well!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

yeh..happy Bah Humbug...

for me it started as a bit of a joke.. the little bit of acid reflecting my personal situation as well as my distaste for where I work..

With retailers it is what affects the GP is all that counts.. if they see that the benifit of a external activity will raise their GP.. they will encourgage it.. if it has a low or no effect on GP..it is a hinderence, and should be activley discouraged..

The Salvo's don't realy have the best interests of Target at heart.. their financial councillers would be advising people to moderate their spending, to prevent New Year financial hardship.. that would not be what Target would like..

And it isn't Christams any more it is "The Holiday" is it not.. It is a commercial gift giving buying frenzy.. let nothing get in the way of that.. so Bah Humbug..

Bah Humbug.. get the buggers to spend an extra 5% beyond their means in our store this year..

Bah Humbug.. remember the $$$$ forget the people, ..

Bah Humbug..I hate "the Holiday" ..I hate the Retail driven Gift giving spree.....don't get me wrong.....I do still love Christmas... but I hate the focus on the dollar and no focus on the people.. the retail worker and the pressured shopper (the "Consumer" the human being who is spending their, or their Borrowed, money)

bah humbug.. and Christmas 13 goes down the shitter

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just have a question how can they stop the bell ringers out side their stores? If their store front opens on to a public street thay have no say in the matter. If I was in the states I would be joining you in your boycott. There are only three or four organisations I will give money to: the RNLI, Sauveurs en mer (french RLNI), the Red cross and the Salvation army. Why, because they are all non profit volantaire orgainsations and they do their own collecting. Which means that instead of the organisation getting about 5 cents out of every euro/dollar donated nearly all of it goes straight into the operational side of the organisation.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Dead Man Walking
    While im not a big supporter of the salvation army ever since they turned my ex wife and I down for some help when our house burnt down I do still believe that overall the orginization is a good one. I will not spen 1 penny at target stores over this. Muracu, they dont open onto public streets the open into massive parking lots that are considered property of the store. I wonder how they would feel if I let a bellringer sit in the bed of my pick up truck while i spent all day inside "shopping"?

Banned
    We were discussing this one in one of my classes the other day, and it's not as easy at they make it look...

Here's some points you might want to consider:

- This entire "boycott Target" started when last year that e-mail went around saying that Target is French, that they don't want to give money to marines,... turned out that Target is 100% American, and that this was based on one particular incident: a marine asking for money at a Target store, and being denied, simply because it's Target's policy to not do that (they do give a bunch of money to that organization at the corporate level).

- Target has a ban on all money-collecting in front of its stores, just like all the other ones do (Walmart has a ban the entire year, but they make an exception for 14 days around the holidays). This year, the ban was enforced for the first time, for the simple reason of objectivity: can't allow one of them without making all the other ones mad.

- And the saddest thing of all: Target gave the Salvation Army the chance to come up with an alternative for the bell-ringers. The Salvation Army never came up with one.

lawsuits

target is only responding to the lawsuit epidemic within the U.S....Lets say that they allowed the salvation army to solicit in front of there stores and the united nogro college fund asked to solicit also...If they refused the uncf they would run the risk of being sued...

There is always the added personal injury risk associated with anyone soliciting on your property...

If someone put money in the kettle and got there finger stuck and had to have it removed surgicaly target would be liable....lol...

If someone tripped over the collection kettle and broke their head again target would be liable...lol...

A boycott of certain products made abroad would be much more productive...
    \"Convictions are much more dangerous to truth than outright lies\"

Negative, Target has always had a ban on money collecting. However they made exceptions to the Salvation Army at Christmas time. This year they chose to ban them from ringing their little bells in front of the store. Many people including myself associate the Bell with the Holiday season, its part of it as much as shopping for Christmas trees and hanging lights. Not to mention that the Salvation Army does the most good in this country at feeding and sheltering the homeless. They are a "Salvation" based Christian group and most of those people ringing the bell once had their own faces in the gutters finding their own "salvation" in a bottle of MadDog 20/20. So if Target chose a stance so be it, the people have a right "choose" to shop at Wal-Mart or Sears or a host of other stores that don't seem to have an issue with a bell and some dude singing Christmas carols. Personally I hate Wal-Mart and it will take more of an "incident" to tear me away from Target but I do miss the bell. The bells reeks of Christmas tidings.

Maracu, the USA has HUGE parking lots in front of their stores; they don't actually face a street. And in our urban design the bell ringers would be on a street with cars going about 50 miles an hour. No one walks among these desolate streets of suburbia. In New York or Chicago, that would be different in the down town areas, but for the most part Target is affronted with 100 yards of parking space.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I was so angered by Target's decision that I actually called my folks last night to tell them about the story I'd seen as well. Mum told me that she'd heard about it a month ago, when the decision was first reached by Target, and that she hasn't shopped there since. I'm sorry to have brought this to you so late in the game, but better late than never.

Undertaker - I agree completely. It seems to me, these days more than ever, Maximum Profits mean more to businessmen than Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards Man.

Muracu - to answer your question - In the US, a Business has the right to refuse to do business with or permit anyone on their premeses at any time for any reason. Were the Salvation Army to attempt to return, I'm quite sure they would find themselves arrested. Now if they were to set bellringers within 6 feet of the roadway leading into Target...

Zombiemann - A very interesting idea, having a bellringer sit in the bed of your truck, but there's precedent governing it as well. While on the property of a business, the business actually has certain rights to your vehicle and its contents. This is how Morton Thiokol (who had a huge plant in my are for ammuntion) gets away with searching both vehicles and employees for stolen items, contraband, etc. Most businesses don't enforce this, but if pressed, I'm quite sure Target would exercise it's right to remove said bellringer, and could do so legally.

Negative and Marcus - There is a VAST difference in precedent here unfortunately. Salvation Army was the first to stand in front of stores. They've been doing it for so long now it's considered a holiday tradition, like Santa in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, or the Christmas tree over Rockafeller Center. In addition, the Salvation Army uses its Christmas bellringer fundraiser as its sole source of income (barring independent private donations). This is the only time of year they ever openly ask for money, and although donations are accepted at other times of year, it is this one big push that funds them. Target in their greed, fear, whatever, cost them NINE MILLION DOLLARS. (sorry, I like capping such a large sum.) Broken down to terms we can actually visualize, that's the annual operating budget of 4 1/2 shelters (figuring a nice round 2 million per shelter) which help how many thousands of people per year?

How many people will die freezing in the street because the 'Sally' can't help them due to that missing 9 million? How many will be refused? How many will starve? Personally I think it's a disgrace.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Personally I think it's a disgrace.
    So what are you doing to help? Are you serving at the food banks? Offering food to those that need it, even if it's just an Apple Pie from McDonalds or a coffee from Starbucks? Rather than deal with things negatively why not look to positive solutions that actually make a difference?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Target officially banned them about 4 weeks ago. I just did some checking, since it is my experience that most of the major US corporations are actually funded by old European money, since the US has a large potential for growth and profit. Most corps. are held by holding companies, actually it's stupid not to isolate your investment money from the corporation via a holding company. So who is the holding company for Target..... here's a run down from the famous British firm Hoover's:

The Advest Group holds Target and is based in the USA they then became part of the AXA Financial Group. So a little diggin into AXA finds, guess what the French. lol. Not that I care but it's hilarious. "The firm is a subsidiary of French financial insurance giant AXA." Source Sure target is a self running corporation but the big daddy is French. Oui? One could definitely make the case that the French own Target. I always pronounced it Tarzjeh anyhoo. Wonder who owns all the Safeways in Britain?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.