Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would an American not be proud of who they are?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Why would an American not be proud of who they are?

I don't understand this. I thought Americans were proud of who they are. Why would you want to pretend to be Canadian?

Source: CNN

Company lets U.S. travelers 'Go Canadian'

Tuesday, December 7, 2004 Posted: 6:09 AM EST (1109 GMT)

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- An American T-shirt company has a solution for their fellow citizens who want to vacation in Europe without having to answer questions about U.S. politics -- pose as Canadians.

For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the "Go Canadian" package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler needs to leave their country and its politics behind.

There's a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There's also a quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" -- on answering questions about Canada.

It's the brainchild of employees at the Mountainair, New Mexico-based company known for novelty T-shirts it sells worldwide on the Internet.

"It's not meant as a slight against the United States or Canada," explained T-shirtKing.com President Bill Broadbent. "It was meant as something Republicans could give their Democrat friends to say 'C'est la vie.' ... But maybe not c'est la vie because that's a French word."

The "Go Canadian" idea sprouted after one of Broadbent's colleagues heard of someone being harassed about U.S. politics during a recent overseas trip.

Some people might not mind, but others "just want to be on vacation," Broadbent said. "So we were joking that they could just go as Canadians, and that just kind of evolved."

The package went up on T-shirtKing.com's Web site November 12 and the company had sold a couple hundred in the first two weeks or so. Many of the out-of-state buyers were in Michigan, Illinois, and the Seattle area, Broadbent said.

When lifelong Democrat Dani Delaney saw the package, she was immediately sold. After the general election, she said, "if I could move to Canada, I would."

"I admire their liberal, progressive stand on things," said the 57-year-old, part-time writing instructor at the University of New Mexico. "And I thought, 'Well, that's a good way to peacefully protest.'"

Sylvia Dawson's boyfriend has been joking that she needed to find him a Canadian flag for an upcoming trip to Spain. That's after his daughter, who is studying there, warned that he might be questioned about politics when he comes to visit.

So she bought a package.

"I said, 'What are you going to do if someone asks you about the prime minister of Canada?' And he said, 'I'll study up,"' Dawson said.

Such questions are the reason for the package's quick reference guide, which offers tips in case an American in disguise gets quizzed on Canada.

When it comes to sports, the guide suggests: "This is easy to remember. There is only one real sport in Canada and it is called hockey. Regardless of any trivia question, the answer is 'Wayne Gretzky."'

If a Canadian says he had to "deke out of a meeting," it means he avoided the meeting. If someone is headed to "Hogtown," that's Canadian for Toronto. A trip to "Cowtown" means the person is going to Calgary.

And in all cases, the guide advises: "If your vacation is to be stress free, leave those heavy politics behind and travel with a light heart and quick wit, Canadian style."
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

In almost 12 years in Europ and Asia, know how many political discussions about American Politics I got into? About 2, both very nasty. Now in Canada, it's practically shoved down one's throat in every conversation. Along with Hockey...

Just tell em your from a "Blue" state.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hmmm..

I don't understand this. I thought Americans were proud of who they are. Why would you want to pretend to be Canadian?
    Possibly if one did not come from Texas?.......in the UK that is known as Yorkshire

It is also permissible to be Irish........................

just a few thoughts?

Because everybody loves Canada. My brother recently came back from a backpacking trip through Europe. It's not a new idea, a lot of people pose as Canadians when travelling.

I remember once crossing the border from Holland to Germany on a train, the customs official didn't even bother to open my passport. He saw is was Canadian, welcomed me to Germany, and moved on to the next person. Everyone else was questioned but me.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    The idea goes both ways! For every American who isn't proud there are hundreds upon hundreds of people trying to get into this country. Just because there are some fruitloops who think that this is a bad or horrible country and want to pretend to be Canadians, it's their problem... I stand for this country and will forever love it as well as the millions of people that strive to come here knowing America will give them the best oppurtunity of their lives.

Banned
    Originally posted here by gore
    You're what 15? You're barely old enough to stand for yourself let alone a country. Don't be in such a hurry, taking of the diaper and putting on a gun and a badge aren't getting you anywhere.
    A tad bit older than that fatman... you're thinking microburn.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    A tad bit older than that fatman... you're thinking microburn.
    lmao... too bad he deleted the post.... oh well

When I visit a country I am not there to discuss politics or who is 'bad' who is 'good' . Last time I visited Germany, I had an Middle Eastern guy talk me for an half an hour about "how bad Bush is". I really don't give a flying **** what people think. What do these people think when they babble on what they think. Do they think that one sole American can change the tide or whos President. Its not the individual's faught that the current President does not sit well with their views. It seems as though some Europeans can smell us Americans a mile away!?! I guess its too much Big Macs or something! lol I don't see how you can get away with being something your not especially with one look at the US passport. Lastly, I did not choose to be born here in the United States but I was and thats what I am and untill I die- American. Like it or not!!!!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Hey i read somewhere that some Canadians were mad about Bush winning again so they set up a website and the premise was that no Americans would be left in America if they didnt want to be. Many Canadians took a pledge to marry an American and get them out of here. No offense to any of my Canadian friends but im happy where i am thanx.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Hey i read somewhere that some Canadians were mad about Bush winning again so they set up a website and the premise was that no Americans would be left in America if they didnt want to be. Many Canadians took a pledge to marry an American and get them out of here. No offense to any of my Canadian friends but im happy where i am thanx.
    Hey Hey, if a hot Canadian chick wants to marry me,lmfao, no problem... but she has to pay my bills.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hey i read somewhere that some Canadians were mad about Bush winning again so they set up a website and the premise was that no Americans would be left in America if they didnt want to be.
    Actually that was done as a joke. What amzed the Canadians who set it up was how many Americans took it seriously.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage