Is it possible to track this
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to track this

Is it possible to track this

hello guys,
    just wanna know is it possible to track the location(geographical) location of a person while he is in same city as yours and uses internet services like mailing u etc.
    i dont know if the person has the same isp.
    and if thts not possible then how was the code generator of iloveu virus was caught. i tried in google but i think i cud not get the right match of words.so it was a futile search .im not sure what i shud look for .
    can u help me?

er0k
    its possible, why do you want to know

it is possible.If you want to know IP address of a person who sent you a mail open mail header and analyse.
    Once you have IP address you can track that ip address to an address(well in most of cases).
    How?
    If you want to get exact location of an IP address like those show in hollywood movies i don't think you can do it on your on.I see that you are from india now most of cable net users from india are illegal they are non tax paid so they don't have a valid global ip address associated with them.i am not so sure but i don't think that they can be traced.if they have commited some cyber crime from their PC then related agency will contact their cable net administrator for their location.
    but you can certainly have an idea about estimated location of a IP address there are many ways to do that.see this.....
    http://www.antionline.com/tools-and-toys/ip-locate/

with this link you can get an idea about estimated location associated with a IP address in most of cases country associated with a ip address is correct.
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

***http://www.antionline.com/tools-and-toys/ip-locate/***

littlenick.... this thing doesn't work. It is showing the wrong ip and wrong country as well. I'm using cable but it isn't even pointing in the right direction. Why do u suppose this is happening? In fact.... it says that 255.255.255.0 is in netherlands and 127.0.0.1 is in California
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

http://www.antionline.com/tools-and-...ress=127.0.0.1
    http://www.antionline.com/tools-and-...antionline.com

what does 127.0.0.1 means to antionline.com?i guess antionline.com so it shows location of where antionline is located.tell us all what are you trying to do?I don't understand as long as you don't tell us we will never understand your question properly
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

Hi Bisht,

There are two answers to this one: "yes" and "no" so I will look at two situations:

1. You and I as private individuals:

If I am using a proxy server, that is the IP address that you will see.............it will tell you nothing of any value.

If you traceroute my "genuine" IP address it will tell you that I live in Manchester, which is about 120 miles away! That is because it stops at the ISP, and it is all standard copper wire telephone cables from there to here. Although I have a unique IP address at any one time, it is from a block of them on the ISP's sub-net.

2. You and I as law enforcement agency or counter-intelligence operatives.:

Here we can go to the ISP and get their logs. We have the unique Manchester IP address that was allocated to a particular user at a particular time. That will trace directly back to the ISP's customer. But we would need access to their customer/accounting records as well.

If a proxy server was used, then the case is more difficult as we would have to match the proxy's logs to the ISP's logs. If the proxy were in an "unfriendly" country, or deliberately cleared their logs regularly, the task would be difficult.

There are a lot of complications such as Wardriving, spoofed addresses and the like; but I think that I have answered your basic question.

As far as i know 255.255.xxx.xxx...................is some sort of reserved address, and 127.0.0.1 is the internal address of most if not all PCs on Earth. Totally useless from a tracing viewpoint.

Cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    For clarity the 255.xxx.xxx.xxx block of addresses are the broadcast addresses for the different network blocks. A general broadcast to every computer on the internet would be 255.255.255.255.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    You can trace the sender..... one way of doing that is if you are using services of yahoo, hotmail or lycos there is an option of all hearders in advanced settings i think... you have to enable it .... After doing that whenever you receive mail you can see the original IP address of the sender..... after getting it trace with any tracing software.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

FanacooL,

The problems with what you are suggesting are:

1. The header address can be spoofed, as it is with most SPAM mail.

2. You will only get an IP address trace back to the address of the ISP's block that it issued the address from. Over here (and in many other places) the connection address is dynamic, and gets issued with every login.

To go beyond that you need to see the ISP logs and account information.. I can find out who the ISP is, but that is all. If a proxy server has been used the information is even more misleading

3. The sending box could be "owned", so the address information is totally irrelevant. It could point to a completely different country.

Dead Man Walking
    Even on cable modem all i have to do is reset my router and 7 times out of 10 i have a new IP adress. If it were a realistic possibilty cyber stalking would be much more scary than it allready is.