Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to track this

Look.... it's not just abt the reserved ip addresses.... i've just opened the ip locator and it gave me my ip address as 202.63.119.209 and my location as NSW, Australia !!! I'm from India. Why is this happening. BTW my personal ip address is 192.xxx.xx.xxx. Isn't this a reserved ip as well? Now, how will they track me down if this ip address can point any local network in the world and isp address is located in Australia??!!
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The IP Locator here is flaky. Try this one: http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yup .... this one works . Good thing though, I thought i was completely secure with absolutely no effort on my part. Thanx.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    For clarity the 255.xxx.xxx.xxx block of addresses are the broadcast addresses for the different network blocks. A general broadcast to every computer on the internet would be 255.255.255.255.
    No, that is a Local network-wide broadcast to all networks physically connected to the same switches/hubs you are. A general 255.255.255.255 broadcast will not be routed, only directed broadcasts will. There are certain limited exceptions to this rule, but generally it won't reach the Internet.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    csch:

The principle of what I said is correct and you are right but you are assuming that the ISP's out there are properly set up.... Some are clearly allowing some 255.255.255.255's to get to my network, (thus my ISP isn't exactly perfect), because I can show you the packet dumps directed to 255.255.255.255. They are almost exclusively Messenger Spam but I would be happy to search for some others if you like - bearing in mind I can't _prove_ their origin but I do know the owner of my ISP personally and I don't think he's the spammer.

Just my 2c on that issue....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I could show you some too, but I'm on cable and inside the border routers all broadcast traffic is treated as on a LAN. Is that possible in your situation? I know if I ping a broadcast address from inside my LAN every piece of routing equipment I've played with keeps it on the "lan" side of things (ie: does not forward it via the WAN port), at least by default. Some can be configured to do so intentionally, but it's generally not a good idea.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

thanks guys

wow guys
    now i do have options.well i take it tht u guys are telling me tht i need some acsses to local isp records,database but i dont think i dont have tht,
    and yes nihil u r right tht illega thing in india is too much.ur right
    guess i ll have to drop this aim.but thnx
    i think i will use bit of social engineering to find out the missing links.and if tht thing abt near aprox of location is correct i think i have won the bet.
    and any ways guys thnx.
    u ppl really did a great job.

bye

u know i think why waist time studying when ignorance is instantaneous and birth got.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    csch:

It's quite possible that they are coming from within my ISP's block and their routers are letting it run internally to their network because of some monitoring software or whatever that they use for management but I do see them from somewhere.... It's just sorta impossible to tell where from... If I think about it I'll take a look at the TTL and see if they are inside the netblock or not. I know I block my broadcasts because I had to stop logging the "deny"s about an hour after I turned it on....

If it is inside the ISP's netblock I'll have them track down and talk to the owner because they are spamming Messenger stuff and, as far as I know my ISP doesn't have private customers, (I think they are all corporate/small business), and I'm pretty sure Norm would agree with me that it is a tad out of order.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

In order to Track the IP you need to see the IP Addresses provided by all the ISP's in ur region and once u get to know about the network addresses provided by a particula ISP , u can contact tat ISP and get to know the persons Geographical Information.
    You hate me coz u wish u had my Knowledge and ur hate FUELS me.....

That ISP won't give such kinda information to anyone...... ya if authorities try to trace such an ip address ISP will cooprate
    nobody is perfect i am nobody