Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firewall------>The best for windows

Once again , now you call the OS crappy, if your Windows OS is crappy that's because you as a user are crappy. My WIndows box can be secure and efficient as any other Linux box !
    O.G at A.O

but of course i cant find it now, nor am i gonna start a fight over the crappy OS to begin with
    I knew I heard lies being told somewhere. But, I will contain myself.

In regards to Windows-based firewalls, I'll never use another firewall after having tasted the configurability and management of Kerio:

1. Boottime firewall protection per NIC. Instead of having the firewall load after being logged in, it loads as a system process and is thus running before you login (to help block incoming bootup attacks and incoming bootup-viri)

2. Built in IDS. Not entirely nessessary, but useful nonetheless.

3. Incoming detection, outgoing detection, program internet usage detection, program startup detection, program asking another program to startup detection.

4. Remote configuration with passworded SSL security (off by default).

Okay, yeah I need to stop before I respond to the "windows is crappy comment"

LOL people can discuss what the best (according to them) firewall is til the end of days...doesnt help much though, for peeps new to firewalls. It works like this...you find a firewall that you feel comfortable with, not necessarily user friendly, but YOU friendly...and then go and test it. There are sites available to test security on your system (i am new here, so not sure if this is one) or if you dont want a site doing it...get a friend to run a port scan on you, and have them try and send you packets...and establish a connection, etc...in my case, i use zone alarm security suite, and when i checked most of my ports are stealthed, which is nice...hehe

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    If you're running XP with SP2, get the inbuilt firewall running NOW. To paraphrase ©opy®ight : It doesn't matter which one you choose - Just choose one, and use it.
    It does matter which firewall you choose. The ICF with SP2 (Internet connection firewall) does not have outbound blocking. Windows ICF has no protection against trojan horse applications and other out bound data transfer.

Heres the deal Windows firewall severally lacks outbound blocking which is a security risk. Choose Sygate like copyright stated.

He meant get up the XP firewall until you get something else, as having a somewhat crappy firewall is a hell of a lot more protection than none!
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

precisely...but get another firewall asap!!!

Banned
    Sygate doesn't have protection against trojans either... what are you going to do when you have your browser as a trusted app, and some trojan uses that... Sygate probably wouldn't even ask you.

not sure about sygate...but i know zonealarm asks me (even for internet explorer) when a program has changed in any way (pain in the ass on updates though) lol

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    precisely...but get another firewall asap
    I didnt reply to disrespect or bash Windows ICF. But the truth is ICF only monitors incomming traffic. Not outbound. Lets say your system is infected with a trojan you get online and the person who owned your system is still controling your system with a firewall in place. Now if you have a 3rd party firewall that monitors incomming and outgoing traffic this wouldnt happen to you. ICF has a lot of configuration options not a resource hog, nice application maybe sometime in the future Microsoft will like to include this feature.

Sygate doesn't have protection against trojans either... what are you going to do when you have your browser as a trusted app, and some trojan uses that... Sygate probably wouldn't even ask you.
    Sygate has an Auto Trojan Termination feature stops known trojan horse applications before they transmit information from your computer. This quote taken from: Also URL to download it.

http://www.download.com/Sygate-Perso...=dl&tag=button

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro provides a multilayered shield of network, content, application, and operating-system protection for your PC. In addition to advanced firewall technologies, the Pro version integrates a world-class Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) that includes application-based IDS, DOS protection, and Trojan horse protection. Sygate Personal Firewall Pro is the ultimate desktop-security solution, trusted by professionals and relied upon by millions of users.
    Hope this helps.

If your system is properly locked down, i.e. serivces, patches, etc.

You simply don't need a firewall.

And, there is nothing wrong with ICF. If you put the effort into it, Windows with ICF is just as secure as any other OS with any other firewall.