Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firewall------>The best for windows

Originally posted here by Winston
    If your system is properly locked down, i.e. serivces, patches, etc.

You simply don't need a firewall.

And, there is nothing wrong with ICF. If you put the effort into it, Windows with ICF is just as secure as any other OS with any other firewall.
    I agree with that... if you are a server!

Desktop users require functionality... functionality and variety brings insecurity.

IE... Outlook... Winamp...

All have been exploited and can continue to be regardless if a firewall is in place or not. And then, what if the payload is a trojan? Firewall is sounding pretty good right about then.
    A reverse bind shell will beat SP2, but I haven' t found a firewall I like yet that blocks outgoing connections without trying to get it's hands in everything.

well, first of all...no, that isnt the case...windows, even properly "locked down" is still entirely exploitable, though i understand there are certain things you can do to help...however, you do in fact still need a firewall, simply put...if a trojan gets in your system, and infects a windows file...what does windows do about it? nothing. a decent firewall will recognize that something is wrong, and stop it from axx the internet, til you can fix the file...a decent AV program helps too...but some viruses shut down AV programs lol...

just so you know where i stand...ICF is not NEARLY enough, i started out running with just that, and it let all kinds of crap happen to my computer...now i run a firewall, 2 AV programs, and 3 spyware/adware programs...and now nothing much bothers my computer...(an fyi...get a router...hardware firewalls are MEAN compared to software firewalls)

Banned
    The routers you are talking about aren't any better than the software firewalls we're talking about...

windows, even properly "locked down" is still entirely exploitable
    Entirely exploitable huh...

And what exploit would that be?
    On an updated XP SP2 box, what would be your line of attack? An email attachment?

just so you know where i stand...ICF is not NEARLY enough, i started out running with just that, and it let all kinds of crap happen to my computer...now i run a firewall, 2 AV programs, and 3 spyware/adware programs...and now nothing much bothers my computer...(an fyi...get a router...hardware firewalls are MEAN compared to software firewalls)
    Spyware... hmmmm....

Spyware comes almost exclusively through unpatched IE. Your lesson should have been to learn how to update, not to install 6 reactive solutions to one problem.

(an fyi...get a router...hardware firewalls are MEAN compared to software firewalls)
    Your router isn't going to monitor applications on your win32 box... FYI

----edit
    Neg.... you just sit there and wait for me to start typing a post don't you
    ----edit 2
    nevermind... I'm just slow.

funny, all you guys defending xp...amazing how many people run it, and how many updates there have been since its release...i use windows myself, however, as a company, i think ms sucks...they release all their OS half finished...when they do so, you HAVE to get like 6 programs to defend against all the numerous exploits there are. All you network gurus here, dont run firewalls? or antivirus programs? or spyware/adware programs? at all? must be pretty confident in a product that updates for new exploits CONSTANTLY...and i do in fact keep updated...even so, there are hackers that have broken into my computer any number of times...despite the updates, and despite firewalls and other stuff...(moral of the story...NOBODY is entirely unhackable, unless you have no computer/internet connection) so yes, windows is entirely exploitable...

An OS is only as secure as you make it.

I don't miss ActiveX. I don't miss IE, I don't miss Outlook.

But you know what.... I have full internet functionality, a nice browser, and an email client.

WTF have I lost? Viruses? Spyware?

My XP system has never been compromised... Well... externally... I've broken it a few times on my own...

Originally posted here by dArtagnan
    funny, all you guys defending xp... and how many updates there have been since its release...i use windows myself, however, as a company, i think ms sucks...they release all their OS half finished...when they do so, you HAVE to get like 6 programs to defend against all the numerous exploits there are. All you network gurus here, dont run firewalls? or antivirus programs? or spyware/adware programs? at all? must be pretty confident in a product that updates for new exploits CONSTANTLY...and i do in fact keep updated...even so, there are hackers that have broken into my computer any number of times...despite the updates, and despite firewalls and other stuff...(moral of the story...NOBODY is entirely unhackable, unless you have no computer/internet connection) so yes, windows is entirely exploitable...
    amazing how many people run it,
    All of your 6 solutions are reactive. 2 A-V, 3 A-Spy, 1 Outbound firewall. All of which are only necessary when you have been exploited.
    I run my ICF, stay on top of updates and use a browser that doesn't hook into my OS. That is a preventive solution. Of course, it is good to have all the software on hand in case of a freak vulnerability nobody expects occurs (i.e. winamp) and that is why I have adaware, spybot and clamAV on a CD.

there are hackers that have broken into my computer any number of times...despite the updates, and despite firewalls and other stuff
    You are obviously doing something wrong. Any one of us here will tell you that.

NOBODY is entirely unhackable, unless you have no computer/internet connection) so yes, windows is entirely exploitable...
    You are quite correct... but I would sure won't go as far as to say Windows is entirely exploitable... it is impossible to acheive perfect security on any operating system. An internet connection itself is a vulnerability for any network/OS.

All you network gurus here, dont run firewalls? or antivirus programs? or spyware/adware programs? at all?
    Where they are necessary

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    hackers that have broken into my computer any number of times despite the updates, and despites firewalls
    The system is only as secure as the user makes it. Give me a WIndows 2000/XP Professional I can make that system secure like Fort Knox. The configurations options for local security policies, computer management, services, are endless. Seriously, you can be securing your system for hours with 2000/ XP Professional. You can have a very secure system so no, windows is not entirely exploitable.

well, sure...you can spend hours configuring windows to be really secure...at which point, you really cant do anything with it lol...just so you guys know, there is a reason that i havent mentioned that i actually need all those programs also...and i am not sure it is appropriate to mention it in this forum...in any case, "the OS is only as secure as the user makes it", well, what is with all these emergency patches and all the numerous security updates from microsoft then? if there was no problem, and an OS is as secure as a user makes it...no need for patches and security updates, right? Well, that is simply an opinion...lemme clue you guys in on something, so nobody gets offended...i am arguing for arguments sake, for knowledge...i am rather new to security myself, though i know more than the average person about windows xp (which isnt saying much, i know LOL) and i am here to learn more. You guys talk about configuring windows, and "locking it down" maybe you could give me some helpful links to start me learning about that stuff? then perhaps i can give you a more INTELLIGENT argument hehe...