Hpna?

Thread: Hpna?

Unhappy Hpna?

I need a clear definition for HPNA.Can anyone translate it in layman's term?Please..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

HOME PHONE NETWORK ALLIANCE

I have a HPNA box around here somewhere. It essentially relies on the same technology DSL does (IIRC), without all the handshaking. It takes a four-wire ethernet signal on one side of the box and translates it to a two-wire telephone signal, and then multiplexes it with your normal voice telephone operations, which only use about 1% of the total bandwidth capacity of your telephone wires. A compatible card is required in the computer to recieve the signal. I picked up like 10 of them for $3.00 each about a year ago.

Basically, it allows you to use the phone wires in the house instead of running cat 5 wire all over the place. Quite useful sometimes.

How about "Ethernet networking with telephone wires"?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Is it like creating a network using telephone wires instead of CAT 5?

Yes. Since most homes already have a telephone wire infrastructure in place but not cat 5 yet, somebody built a box that lets you use those wires to network the house.

So indeed, it creates an ethernet network over telephone wires.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

If I use one of the lines,will I receive voice data or it will automatically convert it to signals?

You can use the telephone just as you would normally. The HPNA box filters out the voice to send the data, and you can't hear the data as it's not withing the frequency range of human hearing, or normal telephone headsets.

Just like using DSL to connect to the internet.

Cool!Thanks!THANKS A LOT!