Thread: javascript enabling virus?

javascript enabling virus?

I have been using internet explorer's tools internet options tab to turn off scripting with javascript and disable downloads whenever im not downloading something but recently i've been seeing javascript and downloads going through even when it's disabled in the security settings. This has never happened to me before, did i catch a virus that disabled my ability to turn off javascript/scripting, and disable downloads too?
    Has this happened to anyone else before?

Hoopy Frood
    I'll take a crack out at it since no one else has. Based on my limited experience, I would say it's most likely a problem with I.E. What version do you have? If it's not the newest version, try updating to I.E. 6 and see if that fixes it. If you're running I.E. 6 on Win. 95/98/2000/ME, try running uninstalling and then reinstalling I.E. 6. G'luck, and give us an update when you've tried that.

- Xierox

P.S. If you were disabling those settings in order to make I.E. more secure, I would recommend considering changing to another browser altogether. I hear Opera is pretty good, but my personal preference is Firefox. (Both are free, but I believe that the free version of Opera is ad-supported.)
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I've tried reinstalling i.e 6 and i still get the same problem. I have also tried Opera but i stopped using it because it woulnd't output any sound on web pages.

Hi,

Go to the Sun website and get the latest java..........MS java is crap, because they fell out with Sun

Go into your java settings and delete the contents of your java cache.

Set your browser not to cache java, or the size/date to "0"

Look at your java settings and at least it get you to ask before running java scripts.

I have also tried Opera but i stopped using it because it woulnd't output any sound on web pages.
    How sad.............try downloading the item, scanning for viruses/malware then run them on your local box. If you have no patience you WILL get infected!

Read some of the security tutorials on this site.............from your question I just KNOW that java is not your only problem

Try Mozilla/Firefox as browsers, I only use IE for apps that need it to update.

Cheers

Banned
    i also have problems with FF not playing sounds and movies in the browser, which could be a good thing to a point. Quicktime solved that problem but it hogs so much memory and takes forever to load on a 500mhz with 124mb of ram;\ but i still prefer FF.

Regal Making Handler
    Karmine,
    When Windows Media Player 9.0 is installed, Mozilla still uses the Windows Media Player 6.4 control (bug 193883).
    Workaround: Applying the Windows Media Player 9.0 registry patch will make Mozilla use the Windows Media Player 9.0 control.
    RegPatch here:http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    i dont use mp9, because of the resources it uses. i still use 6.4 because of course i hate waiting
    for 5 minutes for it to load a 30k sound file.

I've downloaded firefox just now, still tryin to get used to it from using too much i.e. But certain sites that utilize forms and win media player don't load right. That's just one gripe i have with it at the moment, sound loads for me ok with embed tags, flash won't load though.

Well,

I think that you might have to add some plugins to get everything to work with Firefox.........please check out their website, but please be careful what you enable