Thread: Vpn???

Vpn???

hello!
    Can someone explain how VPN networks are working??
    I read a lot of articalse from which i understood only that it is a question for encrypted connection. But can you tell me a little more?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Although, I'm still learning networks I find this link to be useful:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm

How this clears out the basics

kurt

Thank, I read the artical - that all i know.
    Do you know why I'm confused?
    Because I'm in a big LAN(more than 1000PCs) and I'm connecting to internet through that LAN.
    Our company is starting to assaign VPN to each member of the network. Everything what I read make my think that VPN is an encrypted line for connecting through internet to private LAN, or company network.(do you see the difference I'm in a LAN and I connect trhough that LAN to internet).
    So: my LAN is giving me access to internet, than why I need VPN? How it can help? Am I absolutly wrong?
    P.S. Did you understand something of what i wrote?

A VPN establishes an encrypted tunnel from one network to another via the internet. If your company is assigning you a VPN connection it is likely for inbound traffic, meaning, you will be able to connect to your LAN from a remote PC (home, hotel...etc) via the internet over the VPN. All traffic passing back and forth will be encrypted, therefore providing a level of security to your corporate LAN and the data passing back and forth.

Cheers:
    DjM

We use a VPN for remote backup, as another example of what a VPN can be used for. We outsource one of our backups to Bluepoint, and our data is sent via a VPN unit in our server room. That way our backup data is preserved off-site by a reliable third party and sent to them by a secure means.

Originally posted here by DjM
    A VPN establishes an encrypted tunnel from one network to another via the internet. If your company is assigning you a VPN connection it is likely for inbound traffic, meaning, you will be able to connect to your LAN from a remote PC (home, hotel...etc) via the internet over the VPN. All traffic passing back and forth will be encrypted, therefore providing a level of security to your corporate LAN and the data passing back and forth.

Cheers:
    I think you all don't get it! And I'm to stupid to explain.
    I don't need to connect from remote PC. The company I'm speaking for is offering internet trough LAN netwrok. I'm staying always at home I have the LAN and I have internet thanks to the LAN.

Originally posted here by Danielsd
    I think you all don't get it! And I'm to stupid to explain.
    I don't need to connect from remote PC. The company I'm speaking for is offering internet trough LAN netwrok. I'm staying always at home I have the LAN and I have internet thanks to the LAN.
    Well I can't speak for your company, I don't know what their intentions are. At my company, we offer VPN connections to our employees in order for them to connect (securely) to our corporate LAN not to the internet. It is assumed that an employee that requires VPN access to our LAN already has internet access.

Cheers:
    DjM

You understood it! Fine. That's why i'm wondering!