Do you click through to the top of page ad's?

View Poll Results: Is complinace a greater priority than _actual_ security in your organization?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, compliance is more important than security

5 29.41%
  • Yes, compliance is of great importance and we only pay lip service to security.

1 5.88%
  • No, security is more important than compliance to management.

3 17.65%
  • No, security and compliance are equally important.

7 41.18%
  • Compliance and Security are equally ignored in my organization.

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you click through to the top of page ad's?

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Do you click through to the top of page ad's?

Just interested to see how many people here do.......

At the top of the main page are a set of three "news" items and 5 "product news" items. How many of you, how often, click through to see what they say?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    Forget how I voted................Sometimes my curse-er(i do no what I mean) jumps up a bit as I click.

I'm not sure whether thats the exessive amount of blood in my booze, if I have bean Hax0rd or if I just have not got, the correct driver for my un(inteli)mouse.

What do you think?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

What ads? I don't see any ads?

I love my hosts file. I block any and all ads of any kind. I would love to support jupm by clicking on all their ads, but I would much prefer to not see any ads whatsoever, so I block em all.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by The Grunt

I love my hosts file. I block any and all ads of any kind. I would love to support jupm by clicking on all their ads, but I would much prefer to not see any ads whatsoever, so I block em all.
    Same here. I didn't even realize AO had ads until I was browsing it on my work machine which I hadn't secured (with my limited knowledge) yet. ^_^

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Well i've also wondered why theres so many Microsoft ads on boards that completely bash them.

It is very easy to answer that one Aden --------- Money.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

As far as those 'nifty' little Flash ads that show up on the AO page I have a nifty little solution.. it's called Adblock, a Firefox plug-in. However it works with iptables or a hosts file, which I think would save the clobbering of my bandwidth [I think Adblock just doesn't display them but still alows for them to be downloaded? I might be completely off just as well ]
    /\\

I'll sometimes click on the news. However, I almost never click on the products.

I'd rather see products brought forward from members here.
    I want some first hand experience from members that I know and somewhat trust.

If Tiger tells me that product x is good and why... I'll beleive him.
    If "Enterprise IT Staff" tell me that product x is good.... I might look for second opinions.

But I know Tiger better than "Enterprise IT Staff".
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

once in a blue moon i have clicked on the news ...............that only if something about the News heading catches my eyes ...............I don't remember Clicking on the product News or something

Same here. I didn't even realize AO had ads until I was browsing it on my work machine which I hadn't secured (with my limited knowledge) yet. ^_^
    As far as those 'nifty' little Flash ads that show up on the AO page I have a nifty little solution.. it's called Adblock, a Firefox plug-in.
    Now this Speaks Volume people don't even realise there is Something in that Area There..............lYou might want to look at that vacent area Above the little Blue RSS Logo

EITPlanet.com: Security News

EITPlanet.com: Security Products

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by hypronix
    As far as those 'nifty' little Flash ads that show up on the AO page I have a nifty little solution.. it's called Adblock, a Firefox plug-in.
    Had it and liked it, except had one major gripe. It caused my firefox to slow to a crawl. I lived with it for like six months, but when I installed Firefox 1.0PR from scratch and saw how much faster it was without Adblock I never reinstalled it. I now use Spyware blaster and Spybot's Immunize feature because they both use the hosts file to block crap and it gets most of the ads out there for me. If they both miss an advertising domain (and thus I see the ad), I just use Firefox's Image Block feature if I know I use the site regularly and want it ad-free. Don't get me wrong, though. Adblock is a great extension except that it causes delays of up to a second or two when opening new tabs or switching between tabs. (Especially bad on sites with lots of images or if you have more than a few tabs open.) I've heard that the Mozilla package does not have this problem, but do not know from personal experience.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard