Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP address and weird search

IP address and weird search

Hi,
    I'm kind of new to this place so please bear with me if this has already been asked or borders on paranoia...
    recently it came to my knowledge that someone had visited my website
    and the way they had arrived at it was by googling my home address...
    (they had typed my home address on google and it turned up my resume)
    now i have the person's ip address but am not sure wat to think of it....
    do u guys have any suggestions or explanations for this????
    thanks
    vivek

If the resume is online, of course google will find your website ? WHat's so weird about this ?
    O.G at A.O

the wierd search was that of my home adress ...
    not my name or anything else...
    the question is why is someone searching my adress (mailing address to b more specific)
    vivek

Originally posted here by viv_slash
    the wierd search was that of my home adress ...
    not my name or anything else...
    the question is why is someone searching my adress (mailing address to b more specific)
    vivek
    someone is trying to KILL you. call the FBI in the morning!

(it's a joke! loosen up! i google addresses, ip addresses, email addresses, parts of email addresses. i click on all kinds of search results. it's not illegal!)
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

Hoopy Frood
    Could be a friend. I've been known to check what info my friends have leaked about themselves on the internet on days that I'm bored.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

maybe it was a friend or someone you know.....if they know your name, they could find an address, maybe they wanted directions to your house (if this is the case, i hope that's a friend of yours) ...
    O.G at A.O

http://www.searchengineworld.com/rob...s_tutorial.htm

Learn to use a robots.txt file, most search engines will obey the rules 'imposed' by such a file and not index certain parts of your website.
    /\\

Hmmm,

Have you applied for any jobs or signed on with any agencies recently...............?

Could just be they wanted to look at your website to see how professional it was?

Let's face it, if you put your resume about, then people find out about you with a prospect to employing you................that's why they do it in the first place?

In all probability a "head hunter" (recruitment agent) looking for potential placements..............that is how they make their money after all?

Originally posted here by xierox
    Could be a friend. I've been known to check what info my friends have leaked about themselves on the internet on days that I'm bored.

- Xierox
    Same here. I know someone who went through all the trouble of removing his name and address from the phone book and marked his number "private". When he calls you from his phone it shows "private" on caller ID. But, if you just know is name and state, you can find out all that info from google. Since I knew we was trying to remove himself from "public sources", I took the liberty of removing him from the google "phonebook".

I also add people to the do not call registry...

BTW: How do you know that the person searched for your address? It was in your logs with the google search as the refer?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

hello
    thanks for all the replies
    phishphreek80 : i have a counter on my website that gives me a few d-tails on who comes and how they did... ( www.statcounter.com )
    thats how i found out that this person had typed my exact mailing address on google -
    i have no problem with people coming to my website and checking it out- just thought this search was kind of out of the ordinary...
    vivek