Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differentiating Bans?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Differentiating Bans?

Just more of a cosmetic thing but I was wondering if it's possible to have the "banned" title changed so that it identifies those banned by AP and those banned by Moderators. Most of the time you can tell but not always.

Anyways, just a minor idea/thought..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO French Antique News Whore
    I like that idea!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

And possibly 'Banned' by their own request, as in retired.

I think it is a needed cosmetic change.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    This is a great idea, MsM.

I think it makes sense to differentiate in such a way. It might keep some of the "why was so-and-so banned" threads from being created.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Sounds like a good idea to me...I'll look into getting it implemented.

Yeah i like it too, it's gonna stop those "why did this member get banned" threads too, maybe

Troll Banned
    AP Banned
    Retired
    Flipped out banned ...
    O.G at A.O

Personally, if a person gets banned, I don't really think it matters why they got banned, but I do think it would be a good idea for those who chose to have their accounts closed to be differentiated from people who acted like asses. For example, off the top of my head, it annoys me everytime I see GreekGoddess's account as 'banned'.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I agree with Deb. Whether they were banned by a Mod or banned by the AP system really makes no difference. Either way, they were an ass. The number of threads asking why members have been banned isn't really too much, although perhaps differentiating between "Auto-banned" and "Banned" might be a good idea.

As for members asking to be banned, I have always felt that it is unfair to place them in the same category as asses and trolls. A "Retired" label would be far more fair to these people I think.

I think as well that not hiding posts of retired members would be a good idea, since the whole point of hiding banned members' posts in the first place was because the forum is a better place without those posts. Not true for retired members.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Didn't we already do the "auto-banned" title years ago?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I think that was previously a default title with the karma hack or the board itself (don't know which). It's since been changed to a standard "Banned" regardless of the method or reason for the ban.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage