Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Microsoft will start fighting spyware/adware

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    csch:

I'll run with the 45 secs from lilo to login for XP on this box.... It's about right... I can get my glasses out of their case and onto my face....

The default install of SUSE 9.1 I have, (and you know it's default because I have no clue as to how to alter it..... ), is about 1:30.... About twice as long. I also find stuff takes longer in many cases, (trying to alter network card stuff for example), takes longer... It seems to always want to look for hardware or something while XP did that at the beginning and doesn't do it every time you want to change config, (it monitors for HW changes and picks them up as it goes along)....

I dunno... I don't see any great great advantage in *nix except for some of the more "advanced" security tools.... But then they are so badly supported that it usually means buying new hardware, (wireless NIC's for example), in order to use the tool in the first place... In many ways that doesn't make sense unless you have a high risk environment.... But even then a properly configured system in Win "whatever new" can be secured quite well.... Ok, it might need some _good_ ports of some *nix apps, (snort etc.), but it is equally doable. I'll concede that point every time.....

When you install it, it doesn't come with only definitions for the 7 or 8 viruses for *nix you know...
    It doesn't??? No wonder it's such a hog....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Hey,

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    The default install of SUSE 9.1 I have, (and you know it's default because I have no clue as to how to alter it..... ), is about 1:30.... About twice as long. I also find stuff takes longer in many cases, (trying to alter network card stuff for example), takes longer... It seems to always want to look for hardware or something while XP did that at the beginning and doesn't do it every time you want to change config, (it monitors for HW changes and picks them up as it goes along)....
    My load time to XP is about 45-60 seconds... However when you factor in all my startup apps (AVG, PGPTray, Lexmark Photocopier Software, AIM, MSN, GMail Notify. and Tea Timer) along with opening Outlook and IRC... this is a lot longer... My computer is usable after 2 - 2.5 minutes. And it's not a slow machine.. it's a 2500+ w/ 768MB of DDR. Compare that with my linux box... it's 350Mhz w/ 256MB of Ram. It loads several servers (include MySQLd, HTTPd, FTPd, etc) and doesn't have a GUI interface... it loads in around 45 seconds. My SuSE 9.2 Laptop is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1.5 min... however that includes all the server services and the full desktop.

As far as bad support... I'm not sure what you're talking about....

Let's take my laptop
    Dell Inspiron 1100
    -- Intel Extreme Graphics i845G/GL
    -- Generic AC '97 Sound
    -- Broadcomm 440 10/100 NIC
    -- Conextant 56k Modem
    -- 3 Asst. Wireless Adapters -- USB Linksys Wireless Adapter; PCMCIA Linksys Wireless Adapter; Cisco Aironet 350

Windows

I get Graphics but not the correct driver.... I have to download it
    I get sound
    I have no NIC until I download and install the drivers
    I have no Modem until I download the drivers
    I had to install drivers for both Linksys cards.

Linux

I get Graphics with the correct driver from the Intel site
    I get sound
    I have a fully functional NIC
    I have a fully functional Modem
    I had to install drivers only for the PCMCIA Linksys Wireless Adapter.

As for changing configs... It's extremely simple in Linux to change the config ifconfig <device> new config.... Windows isn't nearly that easy... it's a whole lot of point and click BS which does nothing but waste time... and I'm not sure what you mean on the config... SuSE especially has a hardware monitor... it detects new hardware and that's the only thing it does.. If you're using Yast then the only difference is that It shows you as it loads the configs where as windows doesn't... You also have to remember Windows uses the registry for storing a lot of ****... making it difficult for the user to change... but faster for Windows to load settings... Linux uses flat files... allowing the user to make quick changes at the heart.. but operate a little more slowly if they need a GUI to walk them through.

I dunno... I don't see any great great advantage in *nix except for some of the more "advanced" security tools.... But then they are so badly supported that it usually means buying new hardware, (wireless NIC's for example), in order to use the tool in the first place... In many ways that doesn't make sense unless you have a high risk environment.... But even then a properly configured system in Win "whatever new" can be secured quite well.... Ok, it might need some _good_ ports of some *nix apps, (snort etc.), but it is equally doable. I'll concede that point every time.....
    You could argue that advantages and disadvantages for hours... but the plain fact of the matter is if you can't see it's advantages then you don't know the OS... As far as server and security sides go it is highly superior and much more functional... As a desktop it is now equal... It depends on what you are looking for. You can definately secure Windows just as well... I think that's a moot point in this discussion. That's a discussion for actual MS Bashers.. This is more those of us that are intelligent enough to realize Windows is quite flawed...

Peace,
    HT

I guess this falls under the category of let the buyer beware.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5495994.html

Sunbelt President Alex Eckelberry said he and executives from Microsoft are in cordial talks about a number of "business and technical issues" relating to the Giant acquisition.
    Means..

Give it to us or we crush you.

"There's nothing about these pre-existing commitments that will prevent us from bringing to market the product we think is needed and is right for our customers," said Amy Carroll, director of product management in Microsoft's security business and technology unit.
    Means..

If you don't like it, sue us.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

All this bloatware MS is adding to their products annoys me.

I have just recently cleaned a SP2 box (without that last IE patch) infected by a hackdoor variant. Several antivirus and spyware scanners could not do it so manual intervention was required.

Do you think they can do much better with a spyware scanner?. Sure, it will reduce malware more but remember that the malware writer wants their program undetected too and a spyware scanner by Microsoft sure isnt going to make them give up.

i wonder if microsofts spyware/adware implementation will allow me to finnaly remove and keep MSN off my system for good.

re: MS purchase of Giant and Sunbelt CounterSpy

What I find particularly interesting about this aquisition is the following link...pay attention to topic #2 - Microsoft:

http://www.stusnews.com/

Personally, I've been prototyping CounterySpy Enterprise throughout its various beta releases, right up until version 1.0 came out a few weeeks ago. I find it to be the most "enterprise" of all of the anti-spyware/adware solutions I prototyped and getting into the product early enabled me to secure some very attractive pricing.

Anyway, my point is this: Let MS purchase a (dare I say more reliable) anti-spyware/adware company and try to develop a competing product. I'm interested in the definition updates which MS will have to share with Sunbelt and leveraging those definitions with an enterprise product I both trust and am comfortable with.

Cheers,
    <0
    Ego is the great Logic killer

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    [B]csch:

I'll run with the 45 secs from lilo to login for XP on this box.... It's about right... I can get my glasses out of their case and onto my face....
    If you're using default and you let SUSE do everything, you are using GRUB not LILO.

The default install of SUSE 9.1 I have, (and you know it's default because I have no clue as to how to alter it..... ), is about 1:30.... About twice as long.
    So you have time to grab a Coffee too. Big deal. As for the don't know how ****:

Grab manuals that shipped with SUSE

Hold in hand

Check to be sure Manuals are right side up

Continue to grasp firmly in hand

Open.

Pay me a one time fee, pop SUSE box on Net, give me Root Password and IP, I'll configure it and shut down the services you don't need. For an extra 10 dollars, I won't make your BG pic Goatse.

I also find stuff takes longer in many cases, (trying to alter network card stuff for example), takes longer... It seems to always want to look for hardware or something while XP did that at the beginning and doesn't do it every time you want to change config, (it monitors for HW changes and picks them up as it goes along)....
    So does it take longer for SUSE than XP does to reboot for those changes?

I dunno...
    You're right

I don't see any great great advantage in *nix except for some of the more "advanced" security tools.... But then they are so badly supported that it usually means buying new hardware, (wireless NIC's for example), in order to use the tool in the first place...

Again, grab those books. Now I know it's something new to you, reading Email without having to worry the thing has a Worm attached, but you'll get used to it.