Setting up Network problem

Thread: Setting up Network problem

Setting up Network problem

Ok i just got a laptop, and i don't wanna buy a router yet so im trying to connect two machines online via one comcast WebStar modem. I connected the laptop via USB to the modem and the PC via Ethernet, Now my PC does have online access but the laptop shows up as only sending packets and not receving any, so i asked poohsuntzu to help me out and he did (i set up the IP's, subnet etc....) now it receives packets but at a very low rate, lke 18 in 4 minutes, and i still can't connect to anything online. Did i miss something or is this just not possible to connect two PC's via one modem. ?
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

I think this is a problem with the software on the modem. Unless it is also programmed to be a router, it might only detect the first connection it recieves.

I would imagine there is an internal switch architecture which determines whether traffic is sent to port A (RJ45) or port B(USB). It seems like only broadcast traffic is being sent out both ports.

I am not sure of how your modem works, but this theory makes sense to me.

Also, unless your ISP provides you with two addresses you will need NAT, which *does* require a router. If you do have two IP addresses available, a switch should do the job, but it appears as if the switch internal to the modem can't.

I have a SpeedStream 5200 here (not quite sure of the manufacturer). It has full routing capabilities, but this is disabled by default and not documented, so the modem functions only as a DSL bridge. My ISP does not in any way inform people that it can function as a router, most likely to cut down on tech support calls and having to explain that they need to buy a switch as well. Your modem may be able to function as a router if you can figure it out.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I dont know as much about that specific model but to my understanding a lot of cable modems dont allow you to connect via usb and ethernet.

As much as this option sounds horrible you could run the usb into your laptop and then use your laptop ethernet and setup ICS passthrough and run a crossover to your PC. I have done this before and it works, I just am not a big fan of ICS. Let me know, I can get you more detailed instructions if thats what you wanna do
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Yeah i'll try that, post some instructions
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

connect laptop through usb
    Restart cable modem so that it pulls all the info from the laptop
    connect cross over cable from laptop to desktop

On laptop go to network connections, right click your adaptor and go to properties
    click advanced
    check "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection"

hit apply
    go back to the general tab
    get properites on TCP/IP
    set Ip to an internal IP range like 192.168.1.100
    under the advanced tab you can forward things like ftp and such

On desktop
    go to network properties get properties on your adaptor
    get properties on TCP/IP
    set ip to an adjoining IP like 192.168.1.101

restart everything and you should be able to access the internet as long as your laptop is turned on.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here