Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excel Annoyance

AO French Antique News Whore

Excel Annoyance

I I look around a while ago and found nothing about it so I'm asking the mighty AO community.

When you open multiples Word Document, they all open in their own Microsoft Word Program (3 Word Document = 3 Winword process). In Excel, when you open multiple Excel file, they all open in the same Excel process (X Excel Document = 1 Excel process). Is their a way so each Excel file open is own Excel process?

Thank you! Good Answer = Full Pack of AP!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you mean their own window? Are you trying to open them as a group or individually?

I almost want to say invest into Open Office which has everything as it's own process/window.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

********** |ceWriterguy
    The best way to ensure that one open excel file == one open excel program would be to open excel three times, then to manually open the document from inside it (file, open, or drag/drop the document onto the open window).
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    SDK > My Word docs all run under 1 single process... If I open 10 Word docs, there's only 1 Winword.exe process, just like there's only 1 excel.exe process when I do the same with 10 Excel files...

If you open Excel from the command prompt, it does open 2 process/windows. But if you have Excel allready open and open another Excel file, it open in the same process/windows. I don't want that. I want to open in another process/windows.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Would this help: http://www.research.usf.edu/fast/How...y_to_Excel.doc

Perform these steps in order to launch Excel files in a new window with full Excel functionality.

This setup only needs to be performed once.

Windows 98 (Windows 2000 and XP are further down in the document)

1. From your desktop, place your cursor over the Start button. Right-click on your mouse and select Explore. The Explorer window should appear. Select Tools - Folder Options.

2. The Folder Options window appears. Select File Types tab.

3. Scroll down and click on (highlight) Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Make sure you select the correct file type!

4. Once you've highlighted Microsoft Excel Worksheet, click on Edit button. The Edit File Type window appears.

5. Uncheck Browse in same window by clicking on the box next to it. This is how your window should appear before clicking OK.

6. Click OK to return to the Folder Options window. Select Close.

Your computer now launches Excel files in a separate window, containing all Excel functionality.

Windows 2000

1. From your desktop, place your cursor over the Start button. Right-click on your mouse and select Explore. The Explorer window should appear. Select Tools - Folder Options.

3. Scroll down and click on (highlight) XLS Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Make sure you select the correct file extension!

4. Once you've highlighted XLS Microsoft Excel Worksheet, click on Advanced button. The Edit File Type window appears:

5. Uncheck Browse in same window by clicking on the box next to it. This is how your window should appear before clicking OK:

Your computer now launches Excel files in a separate window, containing all Excel functionality.

Windows XP

3. Scroll down and click on (highlight) XLS Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Make sure you select the correct file extension!

4. Once you've highlighted XLS Microsoft Excel Worksheet, click on Advanced button. The Edit File Type window appears:

5. Uncheck Browse in same window by clicking on the box next to it. This is how your window should appear before clicking OK:

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Simon,

If you open Excel again, THEN open the next spreadsheet you will get it running as a seperate task..........is that what you want to do? You need to open multiple excel sessions, not just double click on a spreadsheet. That just opens two sheets in the same session.

What you describe is by design, as Microsoft suspect that you might be using layered spreadsheets ( not just multiple pages) and want to move data quickly between them...........

This is a throw-back to Office 4.3, when you bought the modules seperately. I think that they were trying to promote Access

Bon chance!

EDIT:

You can do this by going into <start> <programs> and selecting Excel

If you open empty books they will be consecutively numbered:

Book1 = session 1
    Book2 = session2

and so on.

Originally posted here by Negative
    SDK &gt; My Word docs all run under 1 single process... If I open 10 Word docs, there's only 1 Winword.exe process, just like there's only 1 excel.exe process when I do the same with 10 Excel files...
    What version of Office are you running Neg? I am running Office 2k and can reproduce his situation.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Let me make a little changeā€¦ When I talk about process and windows, it's not totally true. When I open winword by clicking on 3 different word documents, I get 3 windows. When I press Alt-F4 on any windows, only one windows close. When open 3 excels file, they open in 3 differents windows BUT when I press Alt-F4 on any of them, they all close and that annoy me to death!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

********** |ceWriterguy
    Hi again Simon,

I just found out that english isn't your first language, so I'll try to explain a bit more fully. This will work for you.

Click on start, all programs, microsoft office, excel.
    Do it again - as many times as you need excel documents open.
    Open your files within the different excel windows by clicking file, then open, then browsing until you find the file you want.
    When you close one, the rest will stay open.

Hope that helped!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!