Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wardriving with GPS

Hopefully it comes with a program to map you. The GPS ONLY knows a calulation latitude and longitude/height based on calculations for multiple satelite data streams it compares to a database built in real time from one of the streams. Another program like Rand Mcnally or Garmin, corelates it to a suface location in relation to buldings and landmarks. You still will not get any precise location unless you know exactly where the transmitter is.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Well what if I use the longitude and latitue and use that info into a program to map everything out for me? Would that work? If so what program?
    If at first you don\'t succeed, work for Microsoft.

Regal Making Handler
    And the BEEP, it ain't a gadget unless it beeps
    My brother who is even more into gadgets than I am has got Gps on his Pocket PC. It does exactly what the original poster wants IE moving map displaying position on the map. He being a mobile field engineer neads it. He had a plugin for it that would give you verbal navigation instructions. Also it would warn when you were coming up to a gatso camera. Told you when you were speeding aswell....................................No good to me though, I have a lead right foot.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hey Acidloop,

There is no "proper answer"..........

Where do you live? a "dumpster"..........guess that makes you American?

OK..........look at ZIP codes?

Now I live in the UK so things are different?

The first thing you must promise me is that you will be careful and not do anything illegal or stupid. You are 13? your parents will get the bill? and you WILL be living in a dumpster..........

OK I did a project a while back to get service engineers to locations and to schedule/optimise their routes.

In the UK we have "Postcodes" they are like your ZIP codes but will locate to maybe three feet of the letter box! You can get software that ties into the Ordnance Survey maps (our government official maps guys).

If you find a site, just find out who owns it and check their snail mail addy?............no GPS required...........or would you like my password to GCHQ?

Or, as you are an American, try the twin towers in Langley?

Hehe, no I'm canadian, Jinxy what was that program called and is there any other programs that do that with GPS?

Regal Making Handler
    what was that program called and is there any other programs that do that with GPS
    I think he has TomTom Navigator........................Via bluetooth to his ppc. Not sure what the talking add on was called but there is a load of different ones out there. Also many companies that produce maps for use with Gps. http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...=Google+Search

Any gps hardware will come with a mapping application. It would be useless without one, whether you have to purchase it sepretly or as part of a package, will, I suppose depend on where you by it from.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The item doesn't have a restore cd.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I use Netstumbler and Toposource(?), (the laptop isn't up right now), it gives me the airphoto of where I am as I travel and netstumbler records the location... Yes, I paid a little for the virtual COM port software... But it's fun and very accurate.. I need to play with it more but when I can get a 0.25m air photo of a target I can work out the rest from there....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Is there any that I do NOT have to pay for?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Talking pfff

A map program...free? Where? Nope that I know of!

You can at least bum off 30.00 dollars (or whatever they are in Canada ), from your Mommy ? or just have it? Go to a Staples (do you have staples up there?) or any other electronic/ software store for that matter, and buy one. Delorme has worked for me. okay first:

Do your wardriving (but hey aren't you 13? how are you driving lol srry bad joke) with your GPS on. Then save the results.

If you bought Microsoft's Map point <don't know how you will, I don't even have that money>, you need to download StumbVerter.

Or if your like me and poor you bought the DeLorme one, you need to download :: WiMap. DeLorme is the best one for this use and is easier to get and more affordable.

From there you need different instructions depending which software you bought... You can also search www.netstumbler.com for conversion tools for other software.

*no harm meant

kurt