Processor Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processor Problem

Processor Problem

I'm building a computer from scratch for my mother-in-law and i've never run into this problem before.

I have a D865PERC mboard and 3.0E GHz processor. I bought a case from antec that came with a 350watt powersupply. After i connected everything, nothing turned on except the fans. I checked the RAM and verified my mboard supported 1MB L2 Cache.

I then swapped out CPU's and replaced it with my old 2.4GHz cpu. Everything worked perfectly. Using the 2.4ghz cpu, i updated the bios drivers to the most current one for the mboard then swapped out the CPU again. Still nothing, no power to my keyboard/monitor. I hear no activity in my hdd.

Could the problem be with the powersupply? Not sure if a 350watt P/S can handle 2 fans and a 3.0GHz processor. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hmm... Definitly try swapping out PSU's... 350 watt is probably BARELY pumping the 2.4, especially if it is just generic brand. NEVER use generic brand PSU's unless absoulutly necessary, their PEAK power is 350 watts, and it almost never reaches that, it averages closer to 250.

Have you thought about possiblity of dead proc? Try swapping the 3ghz into another computer and see if it works there, if not, it's a pretty good bet that's the problem.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I would have swapped psu's with my 550 but i was too lazy, gotta get up early tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Hey Hey,

What does everyone have an obsession with more power.... I'm constantly being reminded of Home Improvement? I bet if you monitored your actual power consumption you'd never come close to utilizing the complete 350W. Before you say I'm full of ****.. I've already been told that... To prove it's true my roommate and I ran a complete system on a 145W mini-atx power supply. We still had more than enough power for everything to function. Now granted their are systems with higher power needs, but they'll never exceed 350W... at least not currently.

I'd be inclined to go with a processor problem..... It's either a dead processor.. or it's because Intel (Sorry... had to throw that in... I always try to push AMD)...

Peace
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Intel's are powerhogs, HT, I bet his system was AMD...

My friend owns the local computer shop and he wanted to see what would work with cheapy PSU's and he couldnt' get his 2.6 system to boot with a generic 250, and it ran unstable with the generic 300. Needless to say, he never puts those in anything above a celeron that is going to be sold. He tried an Antec 300, and it ran perfectly fine.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Intel's are powerhogs, HT, I bet his system was AMD...

My friend owns the local computer shop and he wanted to see what would work with cheapy PSU's and he couldnt' get his 2.6 system to boot with a generic 250, and it ran unstable with the generic 300. Needless to say, he never puts those in anything above a celeron that is going to be sold. He tried an Antec 300, and it ran perfectly fine.
    Hey Hey,

I'll accept that... other than my laptop every PC in here is an AMD... so I can't exactly test it...

Since this is already related (kinda).... since hardware is my weak area... is there software to measure the power consumption of your PC? without making a modified power cable to do it... Is there software that can read the power usage off the ATX PS or where it connets to the Mobo and monitor and record it? This will let my hardware retardism show

Anyways,
    Peac
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Banned
    A 350W power supply is MORE than enough for most systems. Study the relationship between Volts, Watts and Amperes, and you'll know why. If your box needs 450W, it's time to start taking out some of your fancy ****...

Hmm... I have never came across one... http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html MBM might have some feature that does it, but you'll have to know everything about your motherboard for it to read correctly. Other than that, good luck, have fun googling, and PLEASE post it once you find it . I have only ever used the actual thing you plug into your hard drive. My friend has one down at the shop, they are pretty cool. Just plug in any cable and it tells you how much power and fluctuations there are. With PSU's, it's usually not the voltage being a problem, it's the fluctuation of the rails that causes things to go wrong in cheap ones.

Originally posted here by Negative
    A 350W power supply is MORE than enough for most systems. Study the relationship between Volts, Watts and Amperes, and you'll know why. If your box needs 450W, it's time to start taking out some of your fancy ****...
    Or buy a better power supply.

As a note, a Dual NV 6800U in SLI on a PCI-Express board alone would easily push 150W (just the video cards under peak load).

At any rate, I'd check the processor in another board before assuming it's dead. So you're aware, the no beep codes during POST indicate the problem is definitely processor related, as that, a motherboard fault (already been ruled out), or a nonfunctioning power supply are the only things that will prevent a system from booting. A system that is underpowered will still generally POST, but might exhibit symptoms such as rebooting when drives are powered up and under load.
    You could also consider picking up a PCI Diagnostic Card which are always handy to have if you are servicing hardware, and can report on these kinds of errors and give you more detail about what's wrong.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Thansk for all your help. I'm still going to swap out PSU's just to scratch a potential problem off the list, but you're definatly right, it could be the processor itself. There are no POST beeps, only a green LED which is the same LED that lights up with the 2.4GHz cpu.