Thread: Router Keeps Disconnecting

Router Keeps Disconnecting

I keep getting disconnected over here at my uncle's house, we are connected through a router, anyone know what might be causing this?
    If at first you don\'t succeed, work for Microsoft.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I hate to state the obvious but with that level of information, it could be the cat pulling the damn cable out of the wall. How about a little more detail such as:

Wired or wireless router.
    Specific conditions when it drops.
    OS

You get the idea.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Well, WinXP on both machines and it's a wired router not wireless.

How long has this been occuring?
    Can you think of any actions or programs running when you lose your connection?
    Do you lose the connection to the internet or to your router?
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

This has been occurring since my uncle installed the router. I loose the connection to both computers.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What kind of router? Model? Type?
    What things are you doing when the connection drops?
    Does it issue out DHCP or does each device have to be given static IPs?
    Were the cables hand made or store bought built?
    Is the router near the TV, Stereo or some other device issue EMI?

And can I fill that cavity for you?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    What kind of router? Model? Type?
    What things are you doing when the connection drops?
    Does it issue out DHCP or does each device have to be given static IPs?
    Were the cables hand made or store bought built?
    Is the router near the TV, Stereo or some other device issue EMI?

And can I fill that cavity for you?
    SMC Barricade Model # is smc7004vbr. It basically drops whenever, just randomly. Cables are storebrought. It's near a Stero receiver, lets see here I'm going to turn it on and see what happens.

I have an SMC7004VBR.

You need a firmware upgrade. These routers are shipped with a firmware bug that causes this. Make sure you get the exact model number, it's written on the bottom somewhere. There are two upgrades available on the SMC website and you need the correct one. They are not two versions of the firmware; they are for two different sub-models of the 7004VBR. They might have released new firmware since I last upgraded, which was about a year ago.

I had this problem; since upgrading the firmware the problem stopped. The firmware will come with a tftp utility with which to upload it to the router. After this, if you ever do a hard reset (with the pin-sized reset button you need a paperclip for), you will need to upgrade the firmware again.

I think it was a bug in the DSL routines that came packaged with it, but I'm not sure about that.

Upgrade the firware on the router and you should be fine.

<edit>
    The smc website seems down. What up with that?
    I'll see if I have a copy of the firmware here.
    </edit>

<edit2>
    Never mind the utility to upgrade the firmware. It's a menu option somewhere in the router's configuration page. Sorry about the confusion.
    The attached firmware works on my router. It may work on yours. If it doesn't you'll need to find the correct version which matches your rout. I suggest trying www.dslreports.com for further help.
    </edit2
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Hmm, I used your firmware. Didn't work, it says I was connected and router LED's were on and everything but no connection, I'm going to search for other firmare.

Thanks alot for that firmware, it works so far, been running for about an hour, thanks again and to all those whol helped me. It's really well appreciated.