Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Connection

Wireless Connection

Hey there guys, how would I get a wireless connection in the car without the satellite system?
    If at first you don\'t succeed, work for Microsoft.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uh.. drive in an area near some wireless APs that are unsecured?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Even if they were secured you could just crack him.

Anyways, isn' there net via wireless or ?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well that would depend on whether they (the wireless APs) are connected to the Internet... There was for a while a national wireless option but they went belly up. I think someone took them over and it's still being rolled out (the idea being that the APs would be placed throughout the city say at stop lights to ensure a constant connection). Can't remember who took it over however.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There has to be some other way besides doing it via sattelite and spending $100.00 p/month.

Alot of cities are starting things like this. they are placing APs on street lights and things. Alot of internet companies are fighting it becasue it would mean the city would be providing internet service, so the companies would lose money. another option (not really wireless though) is to attach your modem to your cellphone and create a dial up connection.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Yes but that would cost money if you were to go on this dial up connection right?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Originally posted here by XTC46
    Alot of cities are starting things like this. they are placing APs on street lights and things. Alot of internet companies are fighting it becasue it would mean the city would be providing internet service, so the companies would lose money. another option (not really wireless though) is to attach your modem to your cellphone and create a dial up connection.
    Yes, this horrible idea is being thrown at us right now. A local Government wants to provide a hot spot near a very upscale shopping strip which essentially gives citizens free internet access. Now, the funny thing is that the non technical sorts wondered why we **** our pants when they suggested running this traffic over our network.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by Acidloop
    There has to be some other way besides doing it via sattelite and spending $100.00 p/month.
    I assume when you said satellite, you mean the 36" X 36" flat satellite dishes that rotate on top of select SUV's.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...&o=1&type=tech

Yeah, verizon offers this card; service comes in via the repeater towers.

http://www.sdwireless.com/phones/pho...vox_pc5220.asp

Cool, do I have to pay for a service for that?