Thread: socket programming

socket programming

My first question:

I’ve been trying to learn socket programming for a while now. I've seen some tutorials that go into sockets with languages such as php, and c++. Tutorials are great and everything, but I only know what sockets can do in programming, nothing about types is known by me. I was wondering if someone could recommend me to tutorial or a book that goes from basics--describing what sockets can do and onto how to create them.

My second question:

If I have been exposed to php already, what language should I learn to create actual window’s programs? I’ve seen c++, and it is very similar to php, should I choose to learn c++ rather than phyton on visual basics. Only reason I’m asking is because people have told me c++ is very complex to the novice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

hi,

first of all it is very difficult to tell what is the best language, every person would tell 'his' language is the best.

all i can tell you is that i have choosen to learn C as my first language, this because it is platform independend, well documented and very powerful for a high level language.

also i prefer the C code above C++ since it looks more logical.
    so i would choose C as you can see

now staying with this language there are many tutorials about socket programming in C, take a look at the tutorials on this site, it has multiple C tutorials about sockets for both windows and linux.
    also a quick google search gives many tutorials, like this.

i hope this helps.