Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Deskstar

IBM Deskstar

Hello, my IBM Deskstar 80GB hdd is making very stange noises. It sounds like metal rub against metal. Is it finished with it . I already did a back up for my improtant information.
    BUT is there any way to save it? Do you know any program that can show where the problem is or should i wait that it brake down?
    I already did error-checking, but it didn't help
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

IBM's site will have a link to their Drive Fitness Test (DFT) software or try here.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

thanks! I'll try that Drive Fitness test and let you know if it helped!

Here is the result. I think it is broken and i can't do something to repair it.
    Serial Number ……….

Failure code 0x73 Defective device: Excessive Shock.

Test date 21-12.2004

Technical Result Code(TRC) 73008696

Am I right?

Hmm.. Looks like you have one of IBM's "Death"Star drives. Get all your stuff backed up ASAP and send for a replacement. All of those drives that were 40's, 60's, and 80s from about 3 years ago die. Nothing you can do to keep it from happening.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Like Grunt said your drive is done.

You can try to get a replacement from IBM but generally I don't believe they replace drives with the Excessive Shock error. After you back up all your stuff, run the erase disk option (wipe out drive and retest). Sometimes this will return the drive with an error code like 0X70 or 0X75 which will be covered.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Ohhh GOD!!! tHAT IS TERIBLE!
    I can't load windows. It is starting only in save mode .
    That is my second HDD that brake down this week. First it was my Deskstar 28GB and now that one. Oh damn why always before Christmas?
    Thank GOD that my 13GB Quantum is still working.

****, that quantam isn't any better off. They are known to burn into flames. I wouldn't put one in my comp... You've been screwed with bad drives... Seriously, go get a good drive ASAP before you lose all.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

That i'll do! Tomorrow i'll look for SAMSUNG SP1614N. I herad only good things for that hdd.
    The quantum i have is 5 years old but it is still working - that is important!. And I hope it will keep the info till tomorrow
    P.S. Thank GOD THAT KNOPPIX IS EXISTING!!!!!!

I have a 5/6 year old Quantum that works just fine. It is a 5.25" ("Bigfoot") and runs faily slowly. I think that the problem ones were the early 7200RPM models?