Nearly Half in U.S. Want Curb on Muslim-Americans' Rights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly Half in U.S. Want Curb on Muslim-Americans' Rights

AntiOnline n00b

Unhappy Nearly Half in U.S. Want Curb on Muslim-Americans' Rights

Hi,

The Associated Press
    Updated: 9:57 p.m. ET Dec. 17, 2004

ITHACA, N.Y. - Nearly half of all Americans believe the U.S. government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim-Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims’ civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

'Disturbing news'
    Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim-Americans.

“It’s sad news. It’s disturbing news. But it’s not unpredictable,” said Mahdi Bray, executive director of the Muslim American Society. “The nation is at war, even if it’s not a traditional war. We just have to remain vigilant and continue to interface.”

The survey found 44 percent favored at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted in any way.

The survey showed that 27 percent of respondents supported requiring all Muslim-Americans to register where they lived with the federal government. Twenty-two percent favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

Cornell student researchers questioned 715 people in the nationwide telephone poll conducted this fall. The margin of error was 3.6 percentage points.

37 percent believe terrorist attack likely
    James Shanahan, an associate professor of communications who helped organize the survey, said the results indicate “the need for continued dialogue about issues of civil liberties” in a time of war.

While researchers said they were not surprised by the overall level of support for curtailing civil liberties, they were startled by the correlation with religion and exposure to television news.

“We need to explore why these two very important channels of discourse may nurture fear rather than understanding,” Shanahan said.

According to the survey, 37 percent believe a terrorist attack in the United States is still likely within the next 12 months. In a similar poll conducted by Cornell in November 2002, that number stood at 90 percent.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source:
    FoxNews

MSNBC
    USA Today
    I wouldn't pass judgment on Americans based on this article and i agree 715 are not much to get the Actual Voice of the Country .............But a good Poll Planner can plan a good Mix of people to get a Giest of what might be the Actual openion .

and if this is true then it is a disturbing trend that is developing............it's the Freedom we loved so much and even Fighiting for it ..............and the very same poeple want to curb someones else's freedom

--Good Luck--

Any details on questions asked? For instance so what if people support registering muslims, DUH. They either have a passport, drivers licernse or Social Security card. Guess what, that registers you. Most Americans believe we will be attacked again. DUH. History repeats itself and 60 years of violence isn't goint to stop because some fanatical finally gets a clue. Duh, the media parades promises of violence by OSAMA himself around the world in Technicolor for all to see, including his own dormant and active terrorist cells. In addition they elevate the violence in Iraq to front page news and stick the kind acts way in the back.

How does a poll conducted by a mere 700 people make national news. lol. Where was it conducted in Salt Lake City? Having said that when is the last time a Muslim organization came pulbic and said, he we don't agree with what this particular group did today, or yesterday or the day before that... That wouldn't be politically feasible.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

maybe they should go beyond.
    -what about register all musslins based firms? those firms can be used to finance terrorism
    - what about register all musslins doctors (or even cancel their medical licenses)? those guys can be used to help injuried terrorist.
    - and maybe cancel musslims lawyers licenses too. Every musslim is a terrorist, so why they need a musslin lawyer?

err...
    those guys didnt EVEN have new ideas. they've copied from here:
    1938 appears to have been a pivotal year for the Nazi movement and for Jews. The frantic efforts to force Jews out of the Reich set in motion two additional processes. First, Hermann Goering, assumed wide-ranging powers over the German economy and began his process of "Aryanization" of Jewish economic resources. Numerous policies were instituted in an effort to pauperize Germany's Jews and cut them off from the German economy. In April, Jews were required to register with the government all personal property valued at 5,000 marks or more. In June, required registration of all Jewish-owned firms was made law. In July, the medical licenses of Jewish doctors were declared invalid. This was extended to lawyers in September. On November 12, 1938, Goering convened a conference in Berlin to plan the systematic "Aryianization" (Ger. arisierung) of Jewish businesses. These policies extended into 1939: in February Jews were required to surrender all gold and silver to the government. These policies seem to contradict the avowed desire of the government to deport Jews to other countries. Without money for transportation and resettlement, Jews could not afford to emigrate.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Yet again we see an example of how statistics can be slanted - what a headline, based on the opinions of such a scant sampling. Our media is obviously running out of things to report, so they're digging and sensationalizing...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

cacasopo, this was a poll of 700 people, who probably just wanted to get back to dinner or re-runs of "Queer eye for the staight guy" without much thought, like opinion polls are. Besides its kind of friggin obvious who is middle eastern don't you think? That's why this poll and article are just a bunch of poodle fluff.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Asking if muslims should be made to register implies that there is no registering or way of keeping track of them as there is for everyone else. Don’t american muslims have to register for selective service??

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

everybody else does

Do you think that muslims driving cars in the US should be forced to get a drivers license?

How many organizations are infiltrated by .gov.

Libertarians, Greenpeace, peta, the catholic church and many more are…all the time…religious and non-religious. We’ve got undercover cops going to bingos to make sure they play by the rules. Should Muslims be exempt from that too? (undercover cops not bingos) Profiling would just cause a higher instance of it for muslims.

The only real issue here is profiling. Which is stupid not to do given who the enemy is.

I see this as yet another instance of that left wing org know as the associated press trying to get people to distance themselves from conservative thinking.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Islam is just a front for fascism and antisemitism.
    It should be abolished.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

It should be abolished.

Nah................that's Roman Catholicism

I speak as one.............

Er rcgreen..............Merry Christmas

Yeah, Merry Christmas... if they haven't outlawed it yet.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by rcgreen
    It should be abolished.
    Christianity is just a front for bigotry, hate, anti-Semitism, anti-Catholicism, and screwing the church secretary. Talk about something that should be abolished....
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.