Admin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Admin

Admin

I just received my laptop and it had about 6 user accounts on it. One was an admin which I didn't know a password to so I had to run in safe mod and deleted the account and made another admin account. Now when I rebooted... it said I don't have admin rights when I go to admin tools in control pannel? What's wrong here?
    If at first you don\'t succeed, work for Microsoft.

What's wrong is that if it was a new laptop you should return it and ask for a brand new one. Even if all they do is run the recovery disks on it and make it seem new - still better than what you have [you should have a set of recovery disks].

If it's not a new laptop and you've receivedit from somebody else... well... reformat // reinstall would be my first thing... I don't like to live in somebody else's mess.
    /\\

The hardrive is clean, and I can't format until I get a restore CD and a externel cd-rom.
    Also whenever I try to change my background, I can only pick solid colours and not browse for my own or pick a windows xp background is that because of admin?

One was an admin which I didn't know a password to so I had to run in safe mod and deleted the account and made another admin account. Now when I rebooted... it said I don't have admin rights when I go to admin tools in control pannel? What's wrong here?
    Errrrrrrr...............YOU?.................what on earth prompted you to do that? Guaranteed failure.................

Your best bet now is to reformat and re-install

There has to be another way. I don't have an externel CD rom yet. I can't get into any admin things, but when I made that account I selected me to be an admin!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which OS is it? XP Pro? XP Home? Win2K Server?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

XP Pro. Whenever I go to Run>control userpasswords2 It says I'm classified as an admin yet I cannot get access to system tools in accessories nor change my background.

Hrmm... long shot without the CD: try booting into last known good (use F8 key when booting). Otherwise, get that external CDRom and boot from there...

What exactly did you do in safe mode? The reason I ask is ..

One was an admin which I didn't know a password to so I had to run in safe mod and deleted the account and made another admin account.
    How could you have logged on to the admin account to delete anything if you didn't have the password?!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

That's the funny part, there was an account called, "Administrator" ONLY in Safe Mode. I went into safemode and deleted some admin called HelpDesk and made an account called Acidloop under Admin!

Ok.. but that doesn't tell me how you logged in. That would suggest to me -- based on the limited info you are providing (details are important you know) -- that you should be able to go back into safe mode and check if the "Acidloop" account is actually a member of the Admin group.