Just a Little Oops. Really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Little Oops. Really.

Post Just a Little Oops. Really.

According to Microsoft's advisory, "after you set up Microsoft Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may discover that your computer can be accessed by anyone on the Internet when you use a dial-up connection to connect to the Internet."
    Have you guys heard of this? What the crap? That's kind of a bit of an "oops", don't ya think?

SOURCE

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sigh.

Just remember the Mantra: "As long as MS makes products the way they do, I'll be employed for the rest of my life.."
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse Microshit has to pull another boner. What a bunch of jokers.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AO French Antique News Whore
    Not COMPLETY True AngelicKnight, this flaw only affect peoples using connecting to the Internet using ADSL or dial-up.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Right, that's what the article said. Anytime you connect via dial-up, it identifies the entire Internet as your LAN. Wierd eh?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    That's kind of messed up, how in the blue hell do you program a firewall to make the internet your LAN?? lol...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Banned
    My work and home laptop's and pc's don't have SP1 anymore, and never had SP2. I read the TFM and used the suggested proper configuration as a work around. I don't have security problems and I really don't have stuff "breaking".

I'm not sure it's actually the "entire internet." It seems to me that what's happening is, when dialing in, Windows looks around to identify which subnet is considered your "local" subnet. Since you've dialed in, your ISP is considered by Windows to be your "local" subnet. It's not that the whole internet could necessarily attack you, just those people sharing your ISP.

Not that that's really any better.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    This is indeed real funny if it wasn't on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886185
    then you could think that it is a hoax... a firewall that makes your files and printer shared for your ISP subnet and not local -> ROFLOL
    Someone should ask to the people at Microsoft: 'hey, do you recall the purpose of a firewall?'

Microsoft security is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp, civil war, and the always chuckle filled military intelligence.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson