Thread: Laptop under $500 USD

Laptop under $500 USD

Here you go:
    Wal-Mart unveils cut-price laptop under $500

Updated 09:09am (Mla time) Dec 21, 2004
    Agence France-Presse

Get INQ7 breaking news on your Smart mobile phone in the Philippines. Send INQ7 BREAKING to 386.

NEW YORK, New York, United States of America -- The world's biggest retailer Wal- Mart is offering price-conscious US consumers the cheapest laptop on the market, priced at just 498 dollars, in a move described by some analysts as a "significant milestone."

The Balance notebook, armed with a 41.1-inch LCD screen, a 1.0 GHz processor, and 128 MB RAM of memory, comes equipped with the Linux-based operating system Linspire.

It hits the shelves loaded with a Microsoft-file compatible office suite and users can access the Internet with both a dial-up modem and broadband connections.

Its price tag undercuts rival laptops on the market by several hundred dollars, with others offering starting prices around 700 dollars.

The result of a joint initiative between Wal-Mart and Linspire, Inc., a Delaware-based corporation, Linspire said in a statement that the portable computer "is the lowest-priced laptop currently on the market to include a complete operating system and office suite."

"Comparable machines cost hundreds
    Print this story
    Send this story
    Write the editor
    View other stories

more even without an office suite or software included," it said.

"It is certainly interesting, without Windows you can more easily bring the price down. Five hundred dollars for a notebook, I think it's a significant milestone," said Charles Smulders, an analyst with Gartner, the technology research group.
    1. Source
    2. Source
    3. Source
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    Consumer Reports of December 2004 features a Wal-Mart $585 laptop (ECS Elitegroup A535). The conclusion: it's remarkable only for its price:
    - lackluster performance
    - no CD or DVD burner
    - mouse buttons that require more than a pound of pressure to activate
    - noisy fan that doesn't cool the computer's innards fully

Bottom line:
    It's no bargain

Maybe the one in this article is a little better than the one tested. I'd never recommend it to anyone, though - better spend $300 extra for a top-rated one...

Do they have discounts if you sell your soul to Satan?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

The Balance notebook, armed with a 41.1-inch LCD screen,
    41.1"......That's a damn big screen
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

How heavy is it? I've had laptops that way 7-8 LB and those that weigh 4.5 LB. I would never buy one heavier then 4.5 LB going forward.

Further reading 128 MBs of ram in todays world? I wonder how many suckers they got. I have trouble imagining Joe Public using a Linux based laptop -won't they be surprised.

Merry Christmas,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke