Thread: Heads Up for UK Members

Heads Up for UK Members

Sorry folks this is a British thing..................

A couple of days ago I got a bird scarer/coaster from my ISP (British Telecom)................I actually read the crap that came with it, and noticed the "great value features" such as "15GB of downloads every month"...................................

I dug out my original contract oh dear................that says 1Gb PER DAY (which I guess is 30Gb per month?)

It would seem that my contractual agreement has just been halved, without any prior consultation, or reduction in the charges....................there is worse....................

"From early 2005, we will not be charging customers who exceed their broadband usage allowance as previously mentioned.What's more, since most of you will have enough usage allowance with your service package, we do not anticipate many of you having to pay anything extra once charging is introduced later on in the year"

I do so enjoy getting ripped off this festive season?

Why does the acronym OFTEL spring to mind? (that's the British government lot who slap telcos )

Merry Christmas to you all...............sorry I cannot spare you any bandwidth

Hey Nihil,

Cheers for that mate, im with BT also - although only while home from my other place of stay. looks like the ever so effiecent person that sorts the bills on our BT account has deleted that email, or if its a letter our fat lazy postman hasnt got his arse up frombehind the bar he owns to deliver our post today.

its interesting though I dont know whether you remember but Virgin Internethad to stop taking on customers because there werent able to cope and we all got sent an email saying something along the lines of "can you please watch how much you download" so i instantly thought are bugger it lets see what happens when i download shed laods, so got a few linux distros on teh go, and low and behold nothing happened.

Although I imagine if you start using more bandwidth that allowed with BT they'll charge you for it the money grabbing sh*ites that they are....

One other thing, do you have the 1571 service on your line? and have you have problems with it preventing the connection of your broadband occasionally? whenever i have connection problems and ring it seems to clear the fault. Maybe i need a new microfilter...

anyway merry christmas mate.

i2c

Regal Making Handler
    15 gig a mounth ? Thats only 3DVD rips. How the hell is a pirate supposed to make an honest living on that <jk>

Time to migrate to anyware but BT perhaps Nihil.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

wow.

I have a server up right now gonna use about 1050GB this month.
    =

Cool All the best for the New Year Nihil, and everyone else :)

I have hated and loathed BT for such a long time! LOL

When I was viewing my current place of residence, for the third time, before buying it. The then owner casually mentioned the BT and Cable phone points.... I had to quell my enthusiasm when I asked if the street was cable enabled. The answer was yes.

I was going to buy the property any way, but that was such an added bonus! At last I could ditch BT! Yippee!!! LOL

I can honestly say I have never looked back.

Have you noticed the 1MB service that Wanadoo are advertising for 1p short of £18? Not sure about the cap on that though! Does seem a bit too good to be true.
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

15 gig a mounth ? Thats only 3DVD rips. How the hell is a pirate supposed to make an honest living on that <jk>
    same here<Sr>
    Time to migrate to anyware but BT perhaps Nihil
    how about a dial up LOL

OK..............time for me to calm down, sober up or whatever ?

I need to find what they will charge me for a commercial connection?..............I know that there has been a problem with people networking through routers, and the domestic service is based on a 50:1 contention ratio.

Obviously, if you are running a small business network through a domestic connection you will cause problems...if there are enough of you?

My objection is that we don't have cable here, so I am somewhat stuck?........and they changed the rules unilaterally...............like they halved the service but did NOT halve the price

yourdeadin

Firstly let me say that I hope all your family are OK after the recent events. Yes I do have a dial-up backup

Simon, I only had to go back to BT when I moved up here as soon as cable hits this town BT will be history...........

Happy New Year to you all,

Johnno