Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Space: Final frontier is final resting place

Space: Final frontier is final resting place

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5...=zdfd.newsfeed

We already have our planet 'circling the bowl', I don't think we should ruin the whole universe and litter it with crap the way we have our planet. No offence to the dead people... but then again what do they care.

I can understand space exploration for the sake of science but just for a bunch of rich people who want bragging rights?

What's next..The Simple Life - Space Edition.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

I take the opposite approach. Space is infinite, or not, it is polluted with items infinitely more dangerouse and deadly than anything we've ever done on earth. Why not put it into the cosmos where it will be burned up by a star or collide with other objects in the infinite cold?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Re: Space: Final frontier is final resting place

Originally posted here by whatthe
    I don't think we should ruin the whole universe and litter it with crap the way we have our planet.
    These canisters aren't being launched out of earth's orbit. Plus they're not made of thermal resistance properties. Now, "space junk" that is made of thermal resistance properties, I would be worried about. Any satellite larger than softball is tracked by our (NORAD) aKa Cheyenne Mt. Besides, the universe is not built on a human scale of time or size. There really is no way to get outside for some perspective.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I heard that the satellite canister with Gene Roddenberry's cremains was accidentally placed into a decaying orbit, and he'll crash down in Asia in a decade or two.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Back in 1992, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's ashes were carried into space and back aboard the shuttle Columbia.

Now, Roddenberry's widow, Majel Barett-Roddenberry, envisions a one-way trip to the stars for her husband and herself.

"It's somewhere to be a little celestial, perhaps, to find your place out there in the stars."
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9607/10/t_t/space.burial/

These canisters aren't being launched out of earth's orbit.
    Now I have an issue with that, if the practice catches on. Earth's orbit is already polluted with so much debris that windows are necessary to get spacecraft out safely. Not only is weather a factor with rendezvous vectors and gravity, but they have to also time a hole in the "junk” It would be much better to launch it out of the solar system. The problem with that is, it would be super duper expensive and extremely difficult to navigate the solar system. Just shoot em at the nearest planet and see what happens. It will either crash or spin around the solar system like a pinball. Nothing more than another abject upon a billion billion meteorites and comets spewing highly volatile pollutants around Sol and her neighbors. Without the thin layer of electromagnetics around our rock, we would all die and not just from lack of oxygen.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

The funny part is... they're developing a satelite (a long one actually) designed to clean up our orbit's junk (well, okay it does have several other uses also), and then drop it into the ocean (as well as being burnt up in the fall).

Just think how much money they've wasted, "I know, I'll send my dead cells into space so they can be pulled back down in a few years."

hah... On a lighter note...
    What's next..The Simple Life - Space Edition.
    And you were complaining about the trash in space before this?
    Hi.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    Now I have an issue with that, if the practice catches on. Earth's orbit is already polluted with so much debris that windows are necessary to get spacecraft out safely. Not only is weather a factor with rendezvous vectors and gravity, but they have to also time a hole in the "junk” It would be much better to launch it out of the solar system. The problem with that is, it would be super duper expensive and extremely difficult to navigate the solar system. Just shoot em at the nearest planet and see what happens. It will either crash or spin around the solar system like a pinball. Nothing more than another abject upon a billion billion meteorites and comets spewing highly volatile pollutants around Sol and her neighbors. Without the thin layer of electromagnetics around our rock, we would all die and not just from lack of oxygen.
    I do agree I can't even stand it when I see trash on the road. Though I was referring to the comment of "the whole Universe".
    Talk about serious damage space junk travels at what 17,000 miles per hour in (LEO)?

Why not just launch all of our trash (dead bodies included) into the sun. Automatic trash incinerator, the ultimate in perminate trash removeale.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Lol that would be nice. Except it would cost like 100 billion dollars to get rid of a single barge or two of New York Trash.
    West of House