Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My doc, xls,mdb, jpg, mp3, ppt, become 0kb insize

My doc, xls,mdb, jpg, mp3, ppt, become 0kb insize

All my documents in shared folder became 0kb in size, is this effect of the virus attack? What type/name of virus? how it infect my system?

Hoopy Frood
    OHMAGOSH THE FEDS HAVE FOUND YOU! RUN AWAY!
    *cough*
    But seriously... Did you download any new programs/music/ect. right before this happened? Do you have Antivirus? If so, is it up to date and when was the last time you ran a full system scan?

- Xierox

[EDIT] I reread your post and now I'm uncertain which you mean. By "shared folder" do you mean a folder you shared across a network, or do you mean a folder that all your shared files for a p2p application (i.e. KaZaA) are stored? When I originally posted, I thought you meant the latter.[/EDIT]
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Antivirus: AVAST Professional 4.5
    Pattern: AutoUpdate (almost everyday)
    Firewall: Built in Windows firewall (sp2)
    No email retreival from this machine
    Last full SCAn 2 days before

"a folder you shared across a network"

Hoopy Frood
    Have you scanned since this problem?

- Xierox

P.S. Any of your experts wanna take a shot at this? I'm kinda clueless here. :-/
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

The first thing to do is update your Antivirus and run it in safe mode. Then try Trend Micro's "Housecall" and Panda's Online Scan.

It could be a virus.................................have you checked to see if the files really are empty?

Yep you have an ETD (electronically transmitted disease). I hope you have a backup of those files.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

This tool may help?

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

At least it should show you if there is anything left to recover?

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Well i have seen this before..... file size changed to 0Kb rather in my case even the extension changed too..... was a program which one of my classmate made...... May be you have downloaded something like that from Internet..... In my case i had the backup of all the files so i did that ..... Hope you got the backup otherwise i think you are messed up.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Yes, FanacooL is right. There have been a number of viruses/malware that have done this sort of thing; I believe loveletter messed up image files?

What I do not understand is that I have not heard of anything RECENTLY with this sort of payload, and I would expect an updated AV to find the older ones?

However, as this is a shared folder, it could be just a straight vandal attack, with no replication capability?

If all that has happened is your file size has been set to zero, you should be able to recover the data.

If the data have been randomly overwritten then set to zero, you are "toast"

Good luck