Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed new motherboard, can't get os up

Installed new motherboard, can't get os up

Hello again.

A couple months ago i was having a problem getting my computer running after replacing the cmos batterie, and it turned out that my motherboard went bad. So after a few months of waiting i was able to get a new motherboard, and I have installed everything and it is actually booting up now. The thing is, it won't load either operating systems that are on my hard drive. They are Red Hat Linux 8 and WindowsXP. Whenever it gets to the point where it would ask where I chose which os to start, it just says GRUB. I have no idea what to do.

The thing here though is that I can browse both partitions when I load the computer with Knoppix, but when I try to reinstall Red Hat, it says there is only one partition. I am trying to get it up and running without losing any of my data, and if anything, I can lose my Linux partition.

Anything will help and be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

It sound to me that you did bad instalation of Linux and you messed up everything. I heard a lot of people having the same problem. I don't know how it must be repaired: I think you must do something with the boot options, but I'm not sure. Till the moment i installed once SUSE so I'm not very experienced Linux user.
    Hope you will find someone to explain you better where the problem is!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Well, no. It was working fine a couple months ago untill my motherboard gave out, and now that I replaced it, I can't get anything to load straight from my hard drive.

So was the replacement mobo.. exactly.. the same as the original?

If it is a completly new MoBo.. you may need to update the boot loader..
    but you will have another problem it is with the Mobo drivers in both winXP and RH..

The problem with Knoppix is possably that it hasn't mounted the NTFS partitipon..perhaps

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

It is a different motherboard. They don't make the original one anymore. I think something happened to the boot files or something. I can't get to anything that asks what os to boot from.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Quick Info : Windows OS does like when you change your motherboard. It have to re-install the System Devices and sometime, he's unable to do it.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

From what I know with a Linux you've got to have everything specified upon installtion, so you may have to specify your boot function for the Linux porition so that it works correctly, but Windows- Shouldn't have a problem with the new motherboard. Try re-installing your Linux.

Alright, I have just tried to reinstall linux. The thing is, it is not finding the linux or swap partitions. Shouldn't it find something?

Can you get into your BIOS setup?

Does it "see" all of your system correctly?

How do I get to the BIOS? That is the CMOS settings right? And if it is, then yes, it sees everything correctly as I can tell. It is strange though, because when I use knoppix, it is seeing all of the partitions.