CPU fan problems

Thread: CPU fan problems

CPU fan problems

I've been helping a friend install a new CPU and Motherboard in his system but have run into some problems that have stopped me cold.

First heres the products we've installed

P4 3.0 prescott Socket LGA775 (socket t)
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-184&depa=0

A gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro LGA775
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...128-251&depa=0

And a Nvidia 6600
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...125-158&depa=0

The first problem is after about 10 seconds the CPU fan stops spinning. I can give the fan a twist and it starts spinning again and stays spinning, but it's almost like it doesn't have enough juice to get going. The power supply is only a 300 or 350 watt power supply soon to be replaces with a new case with a 420 watt PS, but I thought that 300 wat PS would be enough to power it. Just in case though, I unplugged the 2 Hard drives and the DVD-rom drive leaving only the CD-RW plugged into the Power supply. The fan ran a bit longer (5 more seconds) then stopped.

Do you think the reason the fan is stopping is lack of power?

Also on that motherboard, where the PS plugs into the MB, theres about 4 extra slots left open to be plugged into.

........|....
    ........|....

The dots right of the | are the ones that I can't plug into on the ATX plugin slot on the MB.

It plugs in fine, but theres about 4 slots left open on the motherboards plugin.

I've never seen that before, and it has be quite puzzled. Anyone know what thats called?

The previoius M/B on here was a AMD motherboard. When windows tries to boot, it crashes. I see a BSOD, but it goes away to quick to read it. the linux partition boots up fine, but I can't get to KDE cause of the PCI-Express Video card.

I'm assuming we'll have to re-install windows again.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.
    =

Hrmm, 10 and 15 seconds doesn't spain a huge gap. WD40 does wonders, try unscrewing the fan part from the heatsink, and WD the fans ball bearings. Over tighting the fan onto the heatsink will cause the fan to rub aganist it.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Hi Cheyenne,

The power supply does not sound enough for your full configuration to be stable. This could particularly be the case if it does not quite deliver what it says on the box

However, I would not expect that to affect the CPU fan, as it does not use that much power. I would more expect boot and video problems.

I am inclined to d00dz Attackin's way of thinking, that it is a problem with the fan itself. If you use some lubricant it might work, but I would personally have lost all confidence in that bit of kit.

I can give the fan a twist and it starts spinning again and stays spinning, but it's almost like it doesn't have enough juice to get going
    That suggests that it is not binding (rubbing) on the heatsink, as I would expect it to slow down and stop again. If it were simply a power supply problem, I would expect the same thing to happen.

My first move would be to replace the power supply (it may have developed a fault anyway), and then the CPU fan.

Good luck

And watch out for the reindeer poop

Re: CPU fan problems

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    Also on that motherboard, where the PS plugs into the MB, theres about 4 extra slots left open to be plugged into.

........|....
    ........|....

The dots right of the | are the ones that I can't plug into on the ATX plugin slot on the MB.
    I'm thinking that's the Intel "extra power" connections for the P4, but am not sure. Normally it isn't adjacent to the main ATX feed.
    Tech-Report has an article showing this, check the bottom image on that page, and you'll see the ATX12V connected (where the yellow + black cable is going).

The previoius M/B on here was a AMD motherboard. When windows tries to boot, it crashes. I see a BSOD, but it goes away to quick to read it. the linux partition boots up fine, but I can't get to KDE cause of the PCI-Express Video card.
    Enable boot logging, and try and go into safe mode. It's likely due to the wrong chipset drivers.
    Boot *nix to "single user mode" and work from there on getting the PCIe card to work.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

The motherboard has one of those 12v connectors over by the CPU fan where you plug in the yellow and black wires. This is something I've never seen before. This is exactly where youp plug in your PS to the MB. 4 extra slots on the plugin part.

I'm gonna order a Antec Neopower 480watt for the Power supply. I'l try lubricating the ball bearings. some.

chsh:
    It crashes in safe mode as well. I belive your right abou the wrong chipset. I should of uninstalled the previous drivers on their before installing the new M/B with the new chipset. No biggie though a re-install will do some good.
    =

Ok heres a update guys.

I took the motherboard completely out of the case. I left 1 stick of 256mb ram in, left out the video card, and everything else. ONly thing on the motherboard is the ram. Everything else is unplugged.

I powered it up. It ran a little quiter but the fan still stopped. I then took out all the ram, and left the video card out, and it ran fine. The fan never stopped. I then put in the video card, and it ran ok again to. I then added one stick of Ram, and the fan stopped. I thought maybe the ram had something to do with it so I took out the ram I had been using, and put in a stick of my ram which was a stick of Corsair XMS DDR 400 ram, but the fan stopped once again.

So apparently if I put any ram in this system the CPU fan stops. lol

Anyone seen that before and maybe have a work around?

I plugged the CPU fan into the pwr fan slot, and it worked fine there, but the alarm was continuous since the fan was plugged into the wrong slot.

What do you guys think? Send back the board for a different one?
    =

I think so! You must send back the motherboard for a different one. What for a problem?
    When you put the RAM and the fan stop turning, lol. That is very strange .
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

It just starte working now. lol

I put the CPU fan on the System fan connector and put the ram in there, and its working perfect now. lol Had to pull the Speaker off though cause its a continuous beeping cause I have the CPU wire plugged into the system fan spot, but everything else is stable.

I have a Antec Truepower 550 watt PS coming in tommorrow to make sure the system stays stable.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the Cd boot. lol

For some reason the Compuer won't boot from the CD. I made the CD-Rom the First choice and it still boots into grub for some reason.
    =