Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gentoo - Secunia

Originally posted here by hypronix
    AFAIK atp-get is for Debian... which makes me wonder, how come it's okay for SUSE to use Debian 'technology' while Gentoo - using ports and whatnot - is all evil and lame?

It was ported to SUSE, SUSE didn't do it or release it. But you would know that had you bothered to read into it instead of seeing a chance to make me look hypocritical and running with it. It's not distributed by SUSE, it doesn't come on the CDs, it's merely an option, nothing more.

Besides, SUSE didn't take Debian and put a different Kernel in and call it theirs. Gentoo took Free BSD, a Linux Kernel, and a SUSE splash screen, and called it Gentoo. And above that SUSE has been around longer than ANY other Linux company still in business. SUSE came in in 1992, that's outdating any distro still around.

You'll also note I said I didn't use it much and he would have to Ask the Horse who does. It would appear you didn't read up on any of this.

At least I had the common courtesy to try Gentoo out before I ran my mouth. After 5 times I still didn't like it and realised I had a Free BSD machine already and had no use for the same thing with a different Kernel.

gore, we all get it: you're too stuck into your distros to get your head out of the arse and understand that what distro we use isn't got **** to do with what we are or what we could do with the computer.

If I pull my head out, it might un-plug my ass and I'd say things like that which make no sense. I don't seem to recall ever saying someone was stupid because they used Gentoo, I said Gentoo was stupid.

Hell I could install text-only BSD on my dad's computer so he can show off with it... what good?
    If you had to install it for him it's doubtful he could use it in the first place.

Originally posted here by gore
    If you had to install it for him it's doubtful he could use it in the first place.
    Yeah that was the point.

I think that having Gentoo be stupid implies that those who use it are too. Now I've tried a fare share of OSes and distros [not nearly as many as you anyway ] and decided to stick to this. Next week I'm getting another box that's going to be dedicated for toying and playing with different OSes and different things on different OSes. So I'll manage to give SUSE 9.1 Pro a try, Solaris 9, BSD [in more detail] etc.

It's funny but, the first distro I ever installed was a SuSE 6.1. And I was supposed to install 9.1 but Novell delayed shipping, Solaris wouldn't detect anything on my computer and I got to Gentoo. So it's a matter of chance that I run this, and I love it. I don't care what they got from where, but they do mention they use a ports-like system and a bunch of other things... what they found nice in other distros.

I admit to not having followed the discussion very, very closely. I didn't mean to insult gore or anybody else, simply point out that I think most people here have got a good clue you are SUSE/Slackware biased. And it's getting old sometimes...
    /\\

Your attitude sure did change fast in a matter of two posts. Fact is a good LART.

If my "SUSE/Slackware" Elitism gets old don't read what I say.

No my attitude didn't change at all in a matter of two posts. Maybe you took it too hard in the first post, or too lightly in the second one. Matter of fact is, I stand before what I said, and if you choose to understand different things from the two posts, it's up to you.

LART-ing aside, that is.
    /\\

Man you could have said elfknv;kldnfvl;jkdfv;ndfvn;df;lnkdfl;vn and I wouldn't have taken it differently, it's almost 3 PM and I haven't been to bed yet. DAMN do I want to though.