Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 98 SE

windows 98 SE

what security threats does windows 98 with out a firewall or virus scanner

Every possible ?

If it's not updated of course ....
    O.G at A.O

I would suggest that the life expectancy of any OS left in that condition is probably less than 20 minutes.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Well without AV i think almost all the Operating systems are unsecure...... without firewall win98 more vulnerable then others...... but as i am using win98 also and using firewall dont have to worry about anything....... So its not completely unsafe
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

first questions first
    why is the post marked hidden.
    as i am using win98 also and using firewall dont have to worry about anything
    well ya your are safe , the question is for how long are you safe ,one fine day you get up and find yourself ina attack , may a torjan horse or a keylogger whic is sending out all the keylogs via email
    I would suggest that the life expectancy of any OS left in that condition is probably less than 20 minutes.
    well that time expentancy decreases exponentially in case of win98 fresh install ,can't say the same about linux and free bsd

as a matter of fact i think that there is only hole in free bsd,lemme check

that time expentancy decreases exponentially in case of win98 fresh install
    Win98 is more secure than winXP, Linux and BSD (except for OpenBSD perhaps) by default because it is:
    -old and thus unlikely to have specific features being attacked by worms
    -feature lacking, it has no damn servers being initiated from the first time you boot

By design it is not exactly secure obviously.
    It is easily secured because there are few features to take in account.

as a matter of fact i think that there is only hole in free bsd
    FreeBSD has numerous holes.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

FreeBSD offers 76 security holes including the crucial TCP holes, and a full line
    of bloated, uneccessary binaries which can leave your system on the Attrition ...
    well that's not many that is much less than what 98 or xp has to offer
    Win98 is more secure than winXP
    prove it !!

Some people thnk that windows 98 is more secure because they understand it better, it was still an OS over DOS. (if u wanna put it that way) windows XP brings the user further away from DOS or even machine code. This for some people is a false sense of security (what i dont see dont hurt me) But with Win98 u are somewhat closer to the code, can rectify problems yourself without some new "wizard" that makes out that its all for the good

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    I am not using any firewall or AV program but still safe from threats 'cause i am aware of whats going on around the world..... which is safe place to go and which is not..... what are safe ports and stuff like that.....

So let me elaborate a little more.... there are lots of other things that are builtin windows like netstat and other tools.... These tools do help you in secruing or rather looking at security leaks in your system........ But the main problem i think is Antivirus one can't survive without it....... So i think the most important for a system is an AV program.....
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

A virgin 98 install will not be a virgin for long once on the net, if it isn't locked down, patched, firewalled and Av'd.. It won't take long for it to become less pure than a $5 hooker on Oxford St ..
    98 is the most likley broken due to Adware/Spyware Parasites.. that is to the point of needing a warm install but more likley a clean install..

Win98 does not have the WinXP vulenerabilityis.. but that dosent make it more secure
    Win98 is not as prime a target as winXP .. that does not make it more secure

hang on.. Secure?.. are we talking security or are we talking Infection Rate? not same thing..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr