Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet Explorer has totally crashed on me!

now to touch back on all the issues, you have been given a variety of ideas and things you can try. First I dont think that the winsock fix even works on 98, i think its only native to 2k and xp. But that is not going to fix anything either way. you have looked for spyware and adaware. I ran into a similar situation not too long ago. What I would recommend is if you can still get to the desktop... Seems unclear at this point.

If you can get to the desktop download this tool it is belarc advisor. when you install and run this program on the bottom of the page it will tell you your windows key. Write down the 25 digit key and hold onto it in case you do end up restoring or erasing or whatever.

Normally in this situation I wouldnt restore but do a soft install over the top of windows. If you can manage to get a copy of 98 i would recommend you start off it in dos and do the following:
    Code:
    type
    C:
    cd windows
    smartdrv
    cd options
    deltree cabs  (<-- deltree might not be installed if its not rename the cabs files use "rename cabs blah")
    Now create a new cabs directory

Code:
    md cabs
    cd cabs
    (navigate to your cd probably just type "D:")
    cd win98
    copy *.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.*
    After the copy is complete type "c:"
    this should take you back to that directory
    type "setup /?"
    in this it should give you some options like /is /ie and one other add these flags this time
    type"setup /IS /IE /whatever" this will reinstall the core files of windows without destroying any of your program installs or your data

Disclaimer: dont hold me to the not destroying your installed programs, I cant remember if you have to reinstall your programs or not.

If you dont have or cant access a copy of win98 then try booting off a boot disk and try navigating to
    c:\windows\options\cabs
    and typing "setup"
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Ok then stick to win98 its good.I have it myself and is really good for low end pcs
    JANGO RULLEZ