ATI Radeon 9800 Pro VS Geforce FX 5700 le
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro VS Geforce FX 5700 le

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro VS Geforce FX 5700 le

I can't seem to find a "good" benchmark comparable between the two, does anyone know of which card would be better to own?

I know that the Geforce FX 5700 le runs with 256 mb, but it isn't even strong enough to compete with its own 5700 ultra. The ultra out performs it in every aspect.

But, the Ati Radeon 9800 pro is a very powerful card, especially after it has been over-clocked.

But which card do you think is "best" for the money? But also is "best" in performance?

I own a LE and I'm a big fan of nvidia and all, but it sucks bad.

If those are your only 2 options go with ATI.

However if you can spend a few more bucks I would recommend a Nvida FX 5900 or 5950
    =

AO French Antique News Whore
    Ati Radeon 9800 is better. The GeFroce5*** line never made near the 9800 performance talking.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Not sure about a benchmark, I recently installed a 5900 in my machine, not the best I've seen, but does pretty well for me.

All specialize website in hardware recommend the ATI Radeon 9800 as the best AGP card out there. The 6600 AGP Card from Nvidia got some problem running on AGP (Overheat and very picky if your 12 Volt from the Power Supply is not exactly 12 Volt).
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Speaking of video cards, whatsup with the RADEON X800 Pro and the Xtasy RADEON X800 XT or the e-GeForce 6800 Ultra ..the bloody things are so expensive.

I own a 9800 PRO and I love it...so far its been performing marvelously(SP?)

If you want to find a more accurate benchmark test, run your own . Install a 9800PRO, and run some benchmarking tool. Then try it with the 5700. *NOT COST EFFECTIVE *

Personally I've recommended the 9800 pro to anyone who has been looking for a 256MB video card. Anyone got any opinions about the Xtasy series?

about now, I'd be going for one of those new SLI cards
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

nVidia:
    (GF4) MX series is their (old) budget's budget-saver series (not recommended at all unless you're replacing a built-in/shared video card for an ancient OEM built computer)
    LE series is their budget series (disabled pipelines, cutting costs where possible)
    ULTRA series is their "entusiast" series (best of that model)

ATI:
    SE series is their budget series
    Pro series is their "performance" series (better than standard, sometimes shares components used in XT series although some components are disabled)
    XT series is their "entusiast" series

(Below comparison is not a price vs. performance analysis. It is simply a performance geared discussion after looking at this list. I didn't see the price vs. performance part when I wrote the post.)

If these are your two choices, go ATI. First of all, the 9800 owns the transistor count vs. the 5700 series. The 9800 has 4 Vertex Pipelines vs. the 5700's 3 Pipelines. Also, the 9800 Pro has twice the Pixel/Texture pipelies (8) as the 5700 (4). And secondly, your nVidia choice is the budget series whereas the ATI choice is more oriented to gamer.

The ATI 9800 Pro is the winner here. Just ensure it is the Pro version with the 256-bit bus, and not the SE version with the 128-bit bus (and also fewer (4) pixel pipelines). I don't remember if it was the 9800 series or the 9600 series, but some company got into trouble for advertising a 128-bit bus card as a Pro version (Pro version has 256-bit bus, not 128-bit). They decided to rename the product to remove "Pro" from it, and to more clearly show it had a 128-bit bus...

X800 vs GeForce6800. It's pretty even with a bit of advantage to GeForce 6800 for it support of Shader 3.0. But Ati is coming back soon with a new chip call X850 who will beat the 6800.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Those two aren't even in the same league. The FX5700LE is the budget of the budget gaming cards, the R9800 is the middle of the road high-end card.

Originally posted here by Tim_axe
    ATI:
    SE series is their budget series
    Pro series is their "performance" series (better than standard, sometimes shares components used in XT series although some components are disabled)
    XT series is their "entusiast" series
    There are Radeon 9800s that are not SE, Pro, or XT you know. They're simply lower clocked than the Pro versions.

As for the current top of the line cards, I've gotta give it to nVidia. Any way you slice it, nVidia's current generation is a better offering. It's by and large equal to the X800s in many benchmarks, but has the interesting added aspect of a lengthened product life thanks to SLI. If you bought a GF6600GT right now, a year or two down the road you could buy a PCIe board with two 8x PCIe slots and buy another 6600GT way cheaper and get nearly double the performance.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?