Thread: Wireless Router re-connection

Wireless Router re-connection

Dear All,
    I have just bought the Linksys WAG54G Router/Modem/Firewall, and some other products, but in my region I keep on getting disconnected every few hours from my ADSL line. I was wondering if there are any freeware programs or methods (or even if the WAG54G brings an inbuilt one) to re-connect to the ADSL. As I would not be in the house most of the time, and my parents would be the ones mostly using the wireless network for the internet, I would like to make the router automatically re-connect so that they would not have to go through the "trouble" of redialing, as they are quite computer-illiterate.

Thanks in advance,

J_K9

Have you tried downloading and installing the firmware for it? I had a wired router and that was the problem to disconnecting.
    If at first you don\'t succeed, work for Microsoft.

No sorry, I wasn't specific enough, what I meant was that the disconnection has nothing to do with the wireless router, it has to do with the ADSL servers. They kick everyone offline every few hours to make sure no-one is running a server. I would just like to know if there is any method for the Linksys WAG54G to automatically redial the number and reconnect to the ADSL.

Thanks,

J_K9

If its linksys it should have an option on there for keep alive and Dial on Demand.

The keep alive option will keep you connected.

If your DSL goes down it will try to re-connect.
    =

Thanks cheyenne1212, the WAG54G is the only product that I still haven't received (through the post), that's why I was asking, but if that is the case thank you very much for that information.

Just one last question: Is there such a thing as an network admin when all I am using the Router for is to share the ADSL connection and for a home network? I mean, for example, if I wanted to run an IDS, could I do it on any computer on the network?

Thanks again,

J_K9

If you wanted to run a IDS, your best bet is to do the following

DSL connection ----> IDS box ----> Linksys router ----> Computers on your network.

or

DSL connection ---> Linksys router ---> IDS Box ----> Computers on your network

Thats the only way you can capture all traffic going into your network.

Your one other option would be to forget the linksys router and use IPCOP or something similiar to it for your router/gateway.
    =

Hey, thanks a lot Cheyenne1212! You have been really helpful

J_K9