Thread: Help with internet setup

Help with internet setup

I am new here and hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have recently switched ISP from a Cable ISP to a DSL High Speed. I noticed however, under Network Connections, the ip address asociated with my connection is 192.168.2.1 and that is labled Internet Connection and apears to be functioning as a gateway. My Local Area conection has an ip of 192.168.0.10 and apears to be bound to the gateway. I am concerned with the security of this setup. Initialy there was no "Internet Conection" only Local Area Conection, but I found NetBIOS and File shareing to be enabled. It wasnt untill I disabled the NetBIOS and file shareing that I recieved the new Internet Conection Gateway.

When I signed up for the service, I was informed there is no port blocking, however I notice when useing clients such as p2p clients and running tests, a remote computer is not able to comunicate with my open port, they recieve time outs and essentialy no responce to any packets they send me. I have atempted many port numbers such as 40505 and again same results. I am woundering if someone can help me understand what might be going on hear and how I can change it so that I can run clients and acept conections.

Banned
    Did you make your router forward all packets sent on whatever port to your computer?

I havent got any router, i do have a software firewall which i disabled but seems to have no effect.

Banned
    Why do you have an internal IP address if you're not behind a router?

thats what im trying to figure out. My NIC Card is directly pluged into a SpeedStream DSL modem. It does not apear to be a router, it only has one ethernet conector and one phone jack plug.

Elite Hacker
    Which IP are you using to test to see if you can accept remote connections? If you're using the 192.168 address, then it won't work, that's only local. You have to use the ip you would get from something like http://www.ipchicken.com
    Also, how exactly were you testing it?

I am running the test from a test page for shareaza
    http://www.crucial-forums.com/connectiontest/

shareaza is the p2p client im useing, the site lists my ip address as 65.93.217.202 which seems to acreatly represent my computers internet conection since many web sites state that same ip address. untill I reboot and I get a new ip address. But neither my local area conection or the internet conection register as this ip.

The conection times out.

[EDIT]
    It seems Ive found the culprit, my DSL Modem is a Speedstream 5200 and it seems it is functioning as a router sortof, and actualy has a configuration page at 192.168.2.1 where I can set up portforwarding.

I much apreciate all your help and patience[/EDIT]

Yeah most newer routers, from DSL providers act as a router in a way. Most of them have a config page for username and password then a connect button.
    =

Heres an update. Im still not able to setup port forwarding. It seems that the Speedstream 5200 has been altered by my ISP. Seems they loaded it with special firmware that locks the modem in a way that the configuration options available from the web interface are not visible. They limited me basicaly to a web interface with only a status, a way to change passwords and thats about it. Seems Ive located a site discribeing how I can unlock the modem to gain access to all options includeing port forwarding but at present time I have been un sucessfull.

I am greatfull for everybodys assistance and will try to keep you updated.