Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blade-server, mainframe, ou pas?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Thank Tim!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Please do not think me rude, but what experience do you have of building hardware?
    Bah, its not rude! I have some experience with dealing with hardware...with some training I could build my own system in a couple of months(if I had the parts).

But back to the subject matter at hand. I want a really kick ass home PC, but I want it to be state of the art. I thought that perhaps a blade server could function as the hard drive...hmm, maybe I was wrong At any rate, I would like to get a server too(later on), but now I want a decked out PC. Out of curiousity, is it feasible to have instead of hard drives to have blades?

Side not: for USB connections, is there a slot on the motherboard or something? Because I want as many USB 2.0 connections as I can have.

Back to matter at hand: I was thinking of having the general outline of the computer as follows
    • 3.4 GigaHz Processor
    • DVD/CD-RW
    • 1 Terabyte of Space
    • The best modem/ethernet card avail.
    • 1 gig RAM

In what neighborhood would this run? And what neighborhood does a blade server run? And does any blade server run any blade?

Thanks for answering my random questions everyone!
    http://www.planet-smilies.de/teufel/teufel_017.gif
    My name is Draxx...you simians may refer to me merely as \'sir\' for a less syllable-intensive workout.

You still don't answer to any question Tim_Axe or I ask. I'll try asking again if you don't answer me, well, I will not answer you back. I'm tired of asking the same freaking question.

Question 1: What do you want to do with your computer?
    Question 2: What is your budget?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Build it in a couple of months?

Better of having it done for you....

What about www.alienware.com

Question 1: What do you want to do with your computer?
    Question 2: What is your budget?
    I thought I answered the first question, I want it to use it for a PC, more specifically programming and some gaming.

My budget is up to 5 grand, but cheaper in price is preferable.
    http://www.planet-smilies.de/teufel/teufel_017.gif
    My name is Draxx...you simians may refer to me merely as \'sir\' for a less syllable-intensive workout.

You allready ask that question here

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...414#post812414

I gave you the answer in the same thread.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

The only real advantage I ever saw to blade servers is... space.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Right now AMD is probably one of the best choices for upgrading. They are going to have Dual Core CPU's come out in the 3rd Quarter of 2005, as well as Intel. The advantage with AMD is that it will be compatible with existing hardware.

I *think* that Dual Core CPU's will be introduced on Socket 939 and definately on Socket 940. I have no idea about Socket 754.

Anyways, if you go AMD64 and Socket 939/940, by the end of 2005 you'll be able to buy Dual Core processors to essentially double the processing power of your computer. It won't have a large impact in games since those don't scale in performance with extra processors, but video processing and some other multi-threaded tasks will see large improvements. At these levels though, it would be pointless for a file-server because file-servers generally do quite well even if they are an old Pentium 3 500MHz system. It would make for one heck of a workstation, however.

Anyways, look at AMD. At some point in time I or someone else should figure out which platform's Dual Core will come to (939/940) and provide some recommended hardware. As far as everyone has been told by AMD, it will be possible to "drop in" Dual Core processors into current motherboards. Intel can't do the "drop in" and would need you to upgrade motherboards also. Food for thought. Cheers.