Thread: Happy Boxing Day

********** |ceWriterguy

Talking Happy Boxing Day

Given that this holiday is celebrated primarily in Canada, I'll give the rest of you a brief overview, and my reasons for celebrating it here -

Boxing Day is celebrated the day after Christmas, in honor of the Feast of St. Stephen.
    It is used primarily today to celebrate those people who have done some sort of service to our family throughout the year.

Although in the US, we in the |ce household celebrate boxing day to thank those people who trudge out their daily lives to help us - our postman, garbagemen, policemen, firemen, hospital workers, etc.

This year for the postman, we've left a nice gift certificate to a local department store - she being the *one* service worker whom we see most, having visited our household every day for the past year. To the garbagemen, on our next trash day, we will be leaving a case of beer on ice in a nice styrofoam cooler (and I bet our trash service continues impeccably through next year beacuse of it). We've already given the hospital their gift, that of sweets and cakes, last night when we visited them. Mrs |ce and I are still curious what to do for the firemen and police though... Any suggestions? We've thought about a homecooked meal for the fire station. In our small town there are only 3 constables - so individual gifts might be in order.

Thanks for your input on this!

For more info on boxing day, feel free to google it - it's everywhere up there.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Happy Boxing Day

Originally posted here by |3lack|ce
    Boxing Day is celebrated the day after Christmas
    Celebrated in the UK, by way of massive Boxing Day Sales in all major retail stores
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    The day after Christmas Day -- der zweite Weihnachtstag, known as Boxing Day in Britain—is also a holiday in Germany.
    http://www.german-way.com/german/christmas.html
    pfff. always forgetting about us, are we? lol

********** |ceWriterguy
    I forgot everyone but our closest neighbor it seems. Tell ya what. I'll send you a twinkie. I've heard they're good at deflecting meteorites and chinamen.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by |3lack|ce
    I forgot everyone but our closest neighbor it seems. Tell ya what. I'll send you a twinkie. I've heard they're good at deflecting meteorites and chinamen.
    What's a twinkie? Is it something like a Mars Bar
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Nah, I'll just borrow nihil's wife. I heard she can have the same effect. jk