Thread: Linksys Wireless G Router Problem

Linksys Wireless G Router Problem

If I leave my computer idle for any period, I am continually having to reboot my computer because I am not able to open IE. Onc e I reboot, everything is fine and I can be online indefinately.

This didn't happen before I installed the router so another computer could be hooked into cable. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

OK, I need you to clarify things a bit. Youre saying that if you leave your computer idle for any period of time IE will no longer work when you come back.

What do you mean it doesnt work? does it just not open, or does it just not connect to the internet (i.e. give you a page could not be found error) but if you reboot everything works fine, unless you let it go idle? does this only happen on one of the computers?

and also have you scanned BOTH computers for virusis/adware/spyware? if they are networked then when one has one the chances of it being passed back and forth is very good. take both off the network and scan in safemode witha up to date scanner.

is the computer pulling a valid IP address from the router? are you using any type of filtering ont he router (wep keys, mac filters, limited dhcp addresses, specified static IPs)

is the router configured correctly? are you using the routers software to connect to the wireless network or are you using the software that comes with windows? Make sure both are not running, this can cause a confict which can result in you being kicked offline.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

dlalaa

It won't open because it is not finding the IP address, I believe. It initially is looking for the IE buttons to open but it is not able to. That is when I reboot and it works fine. I have no viruses and run adware programs to keep it clean.

hi
    it has nothing to do with your linksys wlan router
    I assume your pc or laptop goes into powersaving mode. when it comes back into normal mode, you lost your connection to the wlanrouter. actually not the connection, the authentification is gone. same happens when you work on your laptop / pc and you switch the router off and on by accident :-) . then you have the same effect. both are up and running but not connecting. I have the same effect with two laptops ( same brand) , but one of them gets the auth back the other has to be restarted to work properly again.
    so switch of the powersaving mode !

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    I agree with skarsatai on this,

Hell i even have the same linksys wireless g router and its the best i've seenand used till now.
    Anyway IMO in no way it can be the router causing this.

Happy holidays even,

Cheers
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Banned
    There is nothing good about power saving mode. It actually uses more power then none, unless you are using this option for an office computer, or just don't use it for more then 4 hours.

The reason for is that the On and OFF of the computer restoring and hybernating consumes more power then just leaving it running. (Depending on the lenght of time)

Add this to the constant issues that the computer doesn't function properly after a restore from sleep mode.

Just set your hardrive to "rest" after a period of time and leave the rest running like usuall.

My FYI for today

Dlalaa

Ok, I just disconnected the power saver and I will try it and see if that works. Thanks for your opinions and your answers make sense. Have a great Christmas.

dlalaa

MS PowerSaver was the problem

After turning off the powersaver, I let the computer sit unused for a couple of hours and I was able to log right back on without rebooting. Thanks all for your input. It is not easy these days to run a computer with all the hackers, viruses, & Hijackers in the world. Have a great day.

dlalaa