Horror

Thread: Horror

AO BOFH: Luser Abuser BModeratorFH gore's Avatar
    Kill the lights, let the candles burn behind the pumpkins’ mischievous grins, and let the skeletons dance. For one thing is certain, The Misfits have returned and once again everyday is Halloween.The Misfits FreeBSD
    Cannibal Holocaust
    SuSE Linux
    Slackware Linux

AO Senior Cow-beller
    LMAO! I remember a middle manager calling the sysadmin team asking for a 'high priority restore' of all contents of /etc/passwd but without a lot of detail why.

A little digging found something like:

$ cd /etc
    $ pbrun su -
    # ls
    # cd /etc
    # ls -al *clearcase-blah.vob
    # rm -rf *clearcase-blah.vob
    # ls -al *clearcase-blah.vob
    # rm -rf .*.vob
    # ls -al *.vob
    # rm -rf .*
    # ls -al *.vob
    # ls -al
    # ls -al /etc
    # ls -al /
    # exit

God how funny! Horrible...cost quite a bit of production time...but we laughed so hard we got warned for 'innapropriate behavior'! You can *FEEL* the panic in that history log. Nothing like giving the clueless root-level access. Hell, I barely trust MYSELF with it.

Good times.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore