Hey, who just threw that rock at me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, who just threw that rock at me?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Hey, who just threw that rock at me?

Astronomers spotted an asteroid this week after it had flown past Earth on a course that took it so close to the planet it was below the orbits of some satellites.

The space rock was relatively small, however, and would not have posed any danger had it plunged into the atmosphere.

The object, named 2004 YD5, was about 16 feet (5 meters) wide, though that's a rough estimate based on its distance and assumed reflectivity. Had it entered the atmosphere, it would have exploded high up, experts figure.
    [...]
    On Sept. 29, the largest asteroid ever known to pass near Earth, named Toutatis, roamed by at about four times the distance to the Moon. Astronomers had known for years the flyby would occur, since Toutatis is 2.9 miles (4.6 kilometers) long and had been in Earth's vicinity before.

But many near misses by small asteroids likely go unnoticed, astronomers say, because the entire sky is not continuously monitored. Such small asteroids have been detected only in recent years as more sophisticated telescopes have been hooked up with digital cameras.

And some asteroids come even closer, entering the atmosphere. Most never reach the ground because they break apart under the stress of entry. One study of data collected by U.S. military satellites logged 300 in-air asteroid explosions.
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...se_041222.html
    And here, I wished on 'shooting stars' when they could have wiped us out. pfff . This is some scary sh*t and they don't tell us until its way gone. Heck, I just read this in my slashdot newsletter. Of course, it makes sense that they don't tell us-- don't want to drive us into panic .

A recently rediscovered 400-meter Near-Earth Asteroid (NEA) is predicted to pass near the Earth on 13 April 2029. The flyby distance is uncertain and an Earth impact cannot yet be ruled out. The odds of impact, presently around 1 in 300, are unusual enough to merit special monitoring by astronomers, but should not be of public concern. These odds are likely to change on a day-to-day basis as new data are received. In all likelihood, the possibility of impact will eventually be eliminated as the asteroid continues to be tracked by astronomers around the world.
    http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news146.html

The object, named 2004 YD5, was about 16 feet (5 meters) wide, though that's a rough estimate based on its distance and assumed reflectivity

Kurt old chap, how many times do I have to tell you to stop posting about my wife? you know she has this obsession about weight and dress sizes?.

I once paid a guy $10 to put "size 12" labels in these pants I bought for my wife...........she is a little bigger than that......but if she diets I will divorce her on the grounds that she has violated our contractual arrangement?

Right!.............there was a real big one missed us about 6 months ago.........400 milllion miles, but it was an EOS.......

lmao... Sorry but I had to inform everyone else here about her. Hopefully now, they will not mistake her for an escaped elephant from the local zoo and club it. You really need to stop feeding her those imported twinkies from the states. jk

Banned
    Well, the odds of getting hit by an asteroid of significant size is still pretty much astronomical (hehehe), but the recent rash (two, within a couple weeks) of 8+ magnitude earthquakes--the last killing 22,000+ ...

That is scarey. 8+ magnitude shakers are rare, normally.

And, of course, there are the twinkies. Now, nihil has been importing vintage twinkies, you know. Those are the ones originally made and wrapped in the 70's. Some thing get better with age. Some things just never age.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, that last deadly shaker, tsunami generator, was strong enough to affect the Earth's rotation! Tell me that ain't disturbing.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Coming so late into the discussion, it falls to me to ask the following:

1. Are twinkies packaged back in the 1970's enough to affect the earth's rotation?

given: The average weight of each american is 30lbs heavier than it was 30 years ago.

[edit] one day I shall learn the tab key moves this to post and quit hitting the spacebar just after it. Follows the rest of this feeble attempt at humor.[/edit]

given: The population of Earth is growing in geometrical, not exponential progression.

Solution: This is left as an exercise to the student.

2. Can a chunk of rock falling at an acceleration rate of 9.8 meters/second/second affect those vintage twinkies?

given: Not all twinkies are stored in the same location.

given: Twinkies are spongy goodness and might deflect such a strike.

given: Atmospheric breakdown might reduce said rock to the size of a pea, or at least to a much smaller mass than it currently possesses.

Query: Could a twinkie deflect a meteorite say...the size of a pea?

3. I hate to make light of the tsunami, considering the mass devistation of the population there, but this is an attempt at wit, therefore (and please remember my heartfelt sympathies go out to them.) Was the earthquake and resultant tsunami caused by someone yellling "Okay, everybody flush!" or was it "Okay, drop your twinkies now!" ?

You guys are great, most especially when enhanced by perscription opiates!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

last year two near hits. one passed within the orbit of the moon the other was a little farther away than the moon. because they came from the direction of the sun they weren't detected until after they passed
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Dont forget where the real power in the world lies. Not with twinkies but in china.....If all the people in china jumped at the exact same time it would be enought to knock the world out of its orbit. theres power for you.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ooooooo! a new challenge for the almighty twinkies!

Query: What if all the twinkies were lined up side by side and stacked 2 deep. Would it be enough to halt the bouncing chinamen?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

good god! After visiting the john to puke my insides out <thanks to a bottle of schnapps last night>, this was a great relief. You guys made me laugh for at least a good 10 mins.

Oh, yeah, that last deadly shaker, tsunami generator, was strong enough to affect the Earth's rotation! Tell me that ain't disturbing.
    good god! rapier57, that even makes my paranoia worse lol. I didn't even put those two together...
    I have been reading up on the Schumann Resonance, some 'interesting stuff'.

The resonance of Earth (Schumann Resonance) has been 7.8Hz for thousands of years.

Since 1980 it has risen to over 12Hz.

This means that 16 hours now equate to a 24 hour day.

Time appears to be speeding up!

Banned
    Kurt: I checked that site out. I think someone needs to monitor your reading materials!