Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New video card... Comments?

New video card... Comments?

Now, I know this has popped up previously, but never quite the same question I wanted to ask. (Such as here )

Here's my scenario. I want a new graphics card, and I'm not one of those folks who absolutely needs everything to look photorealistic.

Base system:
    512mb RAM (PC2100)
    AMD 2100+ XP processor
    AN78X mobo (AGP slot.)

This happened to me the last time I wanted a video card, getting caught up in the great battl of very-many-choices. I'm looking for something AGP between $100 to $145 or so, and my main concern right now is future-proofing---My Geforce2 GTS doesn't support some of the pixel shaders etc. some games require now.

Dual-headed/dual-display support is something I'd like to have as well.

Right now I'm leaning towards an ATI solution, hearing better things from them in the DX support department. Maybe a ATI 9800 SE 128mb. I'm not sure how that stacks up to a 9700 Pro, however.

Anybody have any suggestions? I don't plan to run very much in full AA/AF in max resolution--If I can get a tradeoff towards better performance in more utilitarian modes, I'd probably take it.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

If you do not mind me being "blunt" and to the point................the memory is a bit ancient?...........I would look for DDR, and faster?

AMD 2100+ XP processor
    OK, this is a 1900+, but I do not use it for anything serious..................

I guess you need a new computer mate.................but you know that,. don't you?

EDIT:

I am using 1024 of PC 2100 on this...PC2700 would give you a noticeable difference if the MoBo can handle it

AO French Antique News Whore
    There is so much video card out that getting lost is just easy. You should go with Ati over Nvidia because the 5*** card of Nvidia just pain suck compare to the 9*** card of ATI. And with your budget, you won't be able to afford you one of the latest generations of video card (They run on PCI-Express anyway).

Personally, I suggest more an ATI Radeon 9600. I don't know the prices in US but it should match your budget.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

pick up the hercules 3d prophet game card

http://gear.ign.com/articles/424/424414p1.html
    http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...iews&cat_id=64

it can crunch quite a impressive number.

and O ,nihil is rite get a new computer too.
    (i've a 64mb ram, amd k6 ,i cannot afford a new one, but i bet you can)

[i]

Personally, I suggest more an ATI Radeon 9600. I don't know the prices in US but it should match your budget. [/B]
    I agree ATI Radeon 9600 is a very good video card and it is just matching you budget! 9600 PRO is a very good choice, you will not make a mistake with it!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

I found some 9800 PRO cards in my budget range, but they're all refurbished from NewEgg. Which means probably no warranty beyond a 15-day return--I'm not going to risk it.

Right now I'm thinking a 9600 XT 128mb for around $140 or so. I *appears* that it may outbench the 9800SE. Adding to that it appears that there are four 9800 lines, the XT, Pro, SE, and the 'blank'--I was assuming "SE" was default. But at any rate, it seems nobody sells the blank version on pricewatch

Hm I don't understand very well, but here in Bulgaria I find GB RADEON 9600PRO for 121$ and you have 2 years warranty. Whare is the problem?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

About the refurbished thing, I found a 9800 PRO. For a 9600 PRO, I also see similar prices.

Terr: I Have a 9800 Pro 128 MB and it seems to work well in all the cases that I have put it through.

My setup is similar to yours except I have and AMD XP 2500.

Morrowind
    CounterStrike Original and Source
    Doom 3
    Halo
    Final Fantasy XI

I spent a little over $200 for one with a bigger fan and heatsink since I had problems with my old Geforce 2 and heat.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Right now I'm thinking of a Sapphire 9600 XT 128mb for around $140, or spending $15 more for the 256mb version. My impression is that 128mb is fine for the significant future...?

And I'll get a Half Life 2 voucher, it seems

The fan on my current GF2 started to fail or sound odd, so I removed it---but it was sort of just-the-right-size-and-shape to work with the heatsink... So I got a 45mm fan--which is being held on with a mix of well-insulated bent wire. Definitely no resale value anymore