Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you suggest... (you won't believe the stupidity)

Banned

what do you suggest... (you won't believe the stupidity)

yesterday i found a thrown-out computer on the street... i just plugged in the hd into my system and found **** load of doc's on it from

South Jamaica Services For Families & Children, Inc.
    106-10 Jamaica Avenue, Richmond Hill, NY 11418
    tel: (718) 805-6495 fax: (718) 805-0216

just a quick look and i estimate around 500 SS numbers in various applications and letters... i can't believe this how they handle information of others. should i notify someone about this.. the system was in front of a private apartment block so this person took "work" home and then trew it out for everyone to see

********** |ceWriterguy
    Play see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Wipe the hd and pretend you never saw the info.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    make that SS#' amount around 2 times more .... i just realize that all the account #'s in one of the folders are SS#'s w/out dashes among the series of digits.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Exactly...do a government wipe on the HD, or even safer, do that, then replace the drive...remove all serial numbers you see that aren't product-specific (like asset tags for most companies).

I'd replace the HD then scavenge the machine for good parts and trash/burn/nuke the rest.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Well...................I guess you are in a bit of a "situation"..............you may have broken the law by picking up the computer?

If you want, try the purple PM tab..................I can talk to them on your behalf?

Banned
    this is to ICE

no disrespect, but it could've been my SS just a easily and I it kinda insults me

... lot of these "goverment contractors" especially here in NY are really milking the system... at least they should be held responsible

********** |ceWriterguy
    Yes, it could've been - and if you feel that adamantly about it, then feel free to contact the company to whom the computer is registered and let them know what's happened. Perhaps the police will believe your 'I found it' story when they come to your home investigating the burglary where it was taken...perhaps they won't.

[edit] fixed a typo [/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    i think i will contact them

my girlfriend was w/ me when i saw the computer... it was almost in the avenue but not yet off the curb anyone knows if that's illegal

anything on the curb is public property here in the usa, this includes your trash once you take it out (if its on the sidewalk)
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

You could set up a dummy email account just for this purpose and then surface mail them the details of what you found. Then if they wish to contact you they would have to go through the dummy account, and that would provide you with at least one layer of aninomity (sp?).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown