Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what do you suggest... (you won't believe the stupidity)

cross the case in New Jersey I was speaking of is State of New Jersey v. Hempele a 1990 decision, which by the way does reference the “Greenwood” case you linked to. I checked the Rutgers Law School Site ( where findlaw directs inquiries of this type to ) and the decisions only go back to 1994.

As it has been said, the laws are different depending on where you are, and apparently are applied differently depending on who you are ( as mentioned in my previous post that is )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    DO NOT GO TO THE LOCAL PD!!!!

(sorry about the caps)

They will dump the case and/or harass/detain you regarding where the HDD came from in the first place.

Contact the Inspector General's Office via: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/oig/guidelin.htm

They are the agency trained to deal with these issues and this type of concern falls entirely in their jurisdiction. This is a very serious matter, and they will treat it as such.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Banned
    "But they say all criminals want to be caught, so good luck with that." ... thanx a lot for that one entropy

If any of you are familiar w/ NYC than you know what Jamaica Ave. looks like. It's a pretty wide street w/ a subway over it. The houses are on both sides connected together so ALL THE TRASH GOES ON THE SIDEWALK (therefore I wasn't traspassing) The system WASN'T in front of company in question but far away from their address, which leads me to believe that a person took this information to their home computer which SHE threw out if front of her apartment. This woman is such a dumbass that she left her name and payroll records in some of the files.

I never said that I want to use this for anything illegal and I WON'T. I have contacted the company via e-mail earlier this afternoot. I'm not some kind of savior but I do feel strongly about this issue especially after I found out that there are medical histories, SS#, account# in the files. If you haven't noticed this deals w/ families and childen (it's in the name) If they throw thier systems out on the street, imagine their security policy. (anyone for an nmap scan) What's stop some skiddie from getting a credit card in a name of some 8 year old. (I'm taking it a bit far, Iknow) But I'm just trying to do the right thing (what's to bragg about ) and I asked your opinions because this has to do something w/ the field we cover on this website.

I don't believe anyone here thinks you did anything wrong nor intend to use the info wrong, but I believe they were trying to give you advise on how to protect yourself, based on their experience's and knowledge.

My guess is you are correct, some dumb fool tossed it out for trash. But there is always the slight possibility that it got there another way. Since you said you found it near the person's residence I doubt anyone stole it and just happened to dumped it right there ( though that is probably what her attorney would say ), but SHE could of stolen it from work ( that is what the company's attorneys will say ) and thrown it out when she stole, I mean borrowed, a newer one for use while working at home. ( she may even hire out to different companies to do work at home on the computer ).

I any case, it is up to you to decide, and personnaly I fell strongly that such carelessness should not be tolerated. I do however agree with 11001001
    DO NOT GO TO THE LOCAL PD!!!!
    They are not equiped to handle such things. Since there was medical information on the drive you might also try Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

One thing on-one has mentioned:

What sort of computer was/is it?

Like a P4/ 3.2 with a Gig of RAM and XP Pro has been stolen and dumped.
    A 486 with 32Mb and Win95 has been thrown out.

Just a thought...............the Police and Courts generally take the value of items into consideration, at least over here.

Banned
    AMD K6-2 64MBRAM - 2.5 or so GIG HD windows 2000

abviously garbage but win2000 is a corporate OS ... so that suggest it's from the company

Not guilty?

Dead Man Walking
    abviously garbage but win2000 is a corporate OS ... so that suggest it's from the company
    Dont count on it bud. Im running 2k myself

I have Win2000 as well.

Go into Control Panel, System, General Properties. That should tell you who the OS is registered to?

Dead Man Walking
    Nihil... not to nit pick but a simple right click on "my computer" then down to properties will get you the info as well