dcsimg
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Linux, a few questions I'm sure someone could answer.

Banned

For the love of god, stay away from VMWare. Learn to use the operating system while being inside of it, rather than having to customize and configure around vmware. No need to add additional hassel when someone is first trying to learn an OS, especially WITH all of the reports of bugs VMware gives when people are first learning to configure their kernels.

Learn Linux to learn linux, not learn how to make linux run with vmware without bugs or errors.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by poohsuntzu
    Learn Linux to learn linux
    Best option---Start from basics-Do the idiot proof stuff i.e the 123's /abc's
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I give up. Tell you what guys, when he is spending time trying to figure out why something won't work in Linux because of vmware or virtualpc, you can have fun helping him out.

virtualpc and vmware are great for quick installations of those who already know what they are doing in the OS, and thus are willing to accept the limitations that vmware imposes.

It is NOT good for someone just learning linux, as it only adds more variables to bug testing and more haze when he's trying to find answers of "Why doesn't ___ work?"

From learning to configure his sound card (not an emulated vmware one, his REAL soundcard), to managing his kernel timings (something vmware does NOT allow), VMware is going to be a huge hinderance right now.

Indeed. Me not being skilled at all in Linux. I feel it's necessary to gain that natural feel of it before using an emulated one. Using emulators are never the same as the original thing and they always have faults/ hinderances that just wont exist on originals otherwise. I'm gonna go with the slackware for startes.. and then move on to an emulator later maybe just for test purposes to look back on what this post was really about and possibly laugh at it.I'm sure the road to hacking is going to be a long and tedious one, but I'm not in it for the glory or glamour, if any that comes with being a true hacker. I'm in it for the knowledge I would gain for myself, and principals that I would get out of it, not just to look cool with my peers.
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by poohsuntzu
    I give up
    Don't you often think to yourself? "Why bother"
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Banned
    before moving to linux get your self acoustmed to linux, coz one, use a dual boot or a knopix live cd, try around ,a few clicks here a few there , see what linux is all about ,and once you are confident enough move over to linux , linux and windows are too seperate OS

so regard less of the flavor of linux u r about to use

for dual try xosl (xtended operating system loader)

to look cool in front of you friends try MSDOS ;-) LOL

to look cool in front of you friends try MSDOS ;-) LOL
    lmao.

Good advice from everyone, thanks for all of the replies.. Well, I think I have devised a pretty stable approach to Linux that I'm going to take based on all the advise I got here. I'll first learn the fundamentals, the principals. Then I'll tinker around, and finally I'll fully install Linux.I have a book or two lying around on the subject, I should red them as well. *nods*
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

yourdeadin,

I'll just copy and paste what I said earlier in this thread about livecd's for someone wanting to LEARN linux.

copy, because that won't do much for anyone, to be honest.

You can't install programs. You can't modify configuration files. You may or may not have a good hardware detection on the CD, and if you don't that can be a huge turn off. It's going to run slower than normal because it's in RAM and not RAM+Hard drive.

They won't be learning Linux. They will be learning an interface.
    Seriously people, let the guy learn, not test out an INTERFACE (which is a gui, NOT linux itself) which will most likely completely change when he finally installs his own X server and decided interface. And it certainly won't help him learn a command line since Live-cd's filesystems remain unmodifiable and thus learning how to configure your system is out of the question.