dcsimg
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Linux, a few questions I'm sure someone could answer.

Yep. You are right tzu, and your advise is seriously considered. But also the others were right when they said get a cd version Before the real thing. It wont be a problem at all, I mean 5-10 days max playing with the interface and getting comfortable then movin on to Slackware definantly. Slackware is obviously where I'm gonna have the most problems at, and do expect me to post on the boards before I install it. But after I get it installed, and my dual boot is a success then its back to the enlightening journey. AO, to me, is an invaluable source for information, and I appreciate the support of everyone who assists me.
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

>.< GAHHHH.

Using a liveCD to understand and "tryout" linux so you can understand slackware better, is like driving a Ford Neon with a clutch so you can learn the experience of driving a Volkswagon Bug that has an automatic transmission installed.

Oh well, have fun

Yes, the freedom and hinderances. Atleast its a steady releif out of the conformity of the Windows environment. Also realize that I'll use Knoppix for a little over one week, and I dont think it can hurt being that I have no experience with Linux or the like. I'm not gonna jump right into customizing off bat anyway, Knoppix might actually be pretty wholesome since it has all the internal commands I need.... Well, that I want too.
    \"I\'m a lonely soldier, at war... Sent away to die... never quite knowing why.... Sometimes it makes no sense at all....\"

Banned
    Atleast its a steady releif out of the conformity of the Windows environment.
    And you're jumping right into the conformity of being different and using X. =\

Which sucks... but we dont care what people think they know. I've seen people talk down on Linux in groups then when someone speaks up on Linux and puts out some subject they cant grasp, they seize the so called 'discussion'.We all know some advantages of Linux, hell I even know some and havent even touched it yet, but I know why I want to to it. I figure as long as I gain knowledge, and assist people when I can by staying humble someone always is gonna try to knock you or hate you for that. You have to learn to overcome oppinions of others, and go by what you Know.

Edit: Thanks Gore that did it right there.

Originally posted here by ;TT
    And you're jumping right into the conformity of being different and using X. =\

X and the word conform don't belong in the same sentence, ever.

X doesn't make you different, it makes you a WIMP

Banned
    Originally posted here by gore
    X and the word conform don't belong in the same sentence, ever.

X doesn't make you different, it makes you a WIMP
    Contradiction. If it doesn't make you different, it makes you conform.

Isn't X in mind for beginners? Gore's obviously no beginner. Though.. he did make a small sentance error there but hey, every Guru does every once in a while,

Banned
    Originally posted here by C.Battery
    Isn't X in mind for beginners? Gore's obviously no beginner. Though.. he did make a small sentance error there but hey, every Guru does every once in a while,
    Do you even know what X is? Second part is just too stupid to comment on.