Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Control Lock.

Control Lock.

hi.. i've this box popping up in the middle of the screen. it says 'Control Lock' and 'Locked'... and every few secs, it will jump to 'Unlocked'. Has anyone seen this thing before? If so, how do i go about removing it..?

thx...

I'm assuming you are using Windows of some sorts, can you tell us what version? Also, do you have any programs open at the time this window is popping up? I'm assuming that this box is part of some application that you have running, but we don't know enough from you right now to be certain. It could perhaps be some sort of spyware as well - is this the only popup box you are seeing?

Let me know, I'll see how I can help you...
    - Maverick

Maverick, version is windows xp. i was running trendmicro online scan as there seemed to be say, unfamiliar processes runnin' in the background[i looked from the task manager]... so while waiting for trendmicro to update to scan my comp, i went and watch TV. shortly i came back, the box appeared.
    Just to illustrate better.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...athxx/wtfz.bmp
    ... in the red rect, it says 'Control Lock'... in the pink rect, it says "Unlocked" and then it will keep jumping from "Unlocked" to "locked" and back.

Has this happened multiple times? If so, does it only happen when you run the Housecall scan from Trendmicro?
    - Maverick

the 1st time. i changed my box a few days ago... dunno if i was connecting to the net to d/l sygate firewall ... the hazardeous[sp] things attack my comp... um?

Just for testing, I'd begin by logging back on Trendmicro's site and trying that Housecall scan again to see if that box pops back up... then...

If you have access to another box, I would take the box that you are experiencing problems with and disconnect it from your network. Use the other box to download some critical apps if you are not running them right now (personal firewalls-Kerio, Windows Updates, spyware removal, etc.). This way, if your box is being attacked or has something going on, you won't be connected and available via the network. Once disconnected, I'd start by installing a spyware removal tool such as AdAware and run a complete scan.

Are you behind a firewall (hardware or software) on your current network?
    - Maverick

i will give it a try tomorrow. umm, by network, you mean, having a group of computers in my own network...? or just general... like, you log on to the net with a stand alone comp.... [pardon for my newbieness]... anyhow, i'm using ad-aware and sygate personal firewall version 5.6 now.

Yes, by network, I mean your current LAN setup. For instance, you could be at work, with multiple computers on one internal network, or you could possibly be at home with only a few or maybe even just one computer on the network. I'm assuming that you are at home - do you have multiple computers at your location that you can use for online access?

I'd be curious to see if that box comes up again when running the Housecall scan from Trendmicro.
    - Maverick

nope, it didn't come up. guess it's the monitor's problem....

It won't be your monitor

My guess would be something caught in a temporary file or in your browser cache, that has now cleared.

It sounds as if your first run of Housecall failed for some reason.

My usual "first shot" at these sorts of problems is to clear the browser cache and history and the MRU (most recently used) files; then do a cold reboot.