Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Control Lock.

i plugged in my other monitor just now & it didn't have the 'Control Lock' thingy. and...cold reboot? today, i found out that
    when i reboot my comp, or switch it on, the monitor makes this sound... "click click click"...& the screen is black until it reaches the desktop.

..also when the box pops to 'Unlocked'... i can press the button to my menu[where you adjust yur screen, contrast, brightness, etc] but when it pops to 'Locked'.. i wont be able to access the menu. y'know what i mean? pressing the 'exit' button will make the box momentarily disappear from the screen, but when i realeasd the button, it's back again.

Hm, I am a little confused.

You have two monitors

One produces this "control lock" and the other does not?

One does not show anything until you get to the desktop...........what about the other?

'Unlocked'... i can press the button to my menu[where you adjust yur screen, contrast, brightness, etc] but when it pops to 'Locked'.. i wont be able to access the menu. y'know what i mean?
    That bit I understand, the "lock" is to prevent the user from changing system settings, as farv as I know.

Do you get the same results if you log on as administrator?

Also, take a look in your BIOS/CMOS settings and see if "Fast Boot" is enabled, and if there is an option to disable control lock.

What are the makes and models of your monitors? Do they have built in speakers, or do you have stand alone speakers. Try switching them off and see if you still get the "clicks"

I have seen some strange things with Win XP when you don't have the right driver for a monitor. If you look in Control Panel, Display, and Settings it should tell you the monitor and video card that your system thinks that it is running with............is it correct?

Do you get the problem when you boot into Safe Mode?

EDIT:

I didn't ask, but is there any third party parental/access control software running?

Also, does your monitor settings have a settings locking option?

hi again.
    the other one works fine. i am logged on as administrator. ok, let my monitor with the problems be 'A' and the monitor that works fine be 'B'....

'A' 's model is Samsung... SyncMaster 551s. 'B' 's model is Packard Bell. & they've stand-alone speakers. the "clicks" come from the monitor inside.

the display is 'Plug and Play Monitor on ASUS RADEON A9600SE'... i'm using that graphics card, so it's correct, i guess?

i'm not sure i can boot to safe mode with a black screen? i mean, i wouldn't be able to see anything & what if i pressed wrongly? i will go try and see my Bios/cmons settings now.

oh, so i decided to see if i can boot into safe mode. i could, but the 'Control Lock' thingy was present - in safe mode.
    as i did that, i realized i've to wait a while before the screen shows itself. doesn't mean i reach desktop, then the screen shows.
    umm, where do i find "Fast Boot" in the bios/cmons? under which category[sp]?
    thx.
    ^^

and oh, i didnt see yur EDIT until i posted... anyway
    I didn't ask, but is there any third party parental/access control software running?

Also, does your monitor settings have a settings locking option?
    what do you mean by 3rd party parental/access control software...?
    and i'm not sure if my monitor settings have that option.

The "fast boot" option should be under something like "advanced settings" or "peripheral management"

I have just looked on Samsung's site, and the 551s doesn't say that it has a control lock facility.....perhaps you could look in the manual?

Have you recently upgraded your operating system? and has this monitor ever worked for you?.........the reason I ask is that its technical specifications say that it supports Win98/ME/2000 but does not mention XP

Maybe you need to look for an XP driver for it? I have encountered a variety of hardware compatibility issues with XP. Particularly with their generic drivers.

Strangely, not so much with older monitors............this IBM G54 works just fine, as do Compaq V55s

as i did that, i realized i've to wait a while before the screen shows itself. doesn't mean i reach desktop, then the screen shows.
    So you see a lot of white writing first?

EDIT......sorry about that..............I ment security software that locks the system or is used to control what children are allowed to do.

EDIT2:

This link should get you a Windows XP driver for it:

http://www.samsung.com/download/Mode...e=DR&language=

The user manual is here:

http://www.samsung.com/download/File...e=UM&language=

Originally posted here by nihil

Maybe you need to look for an XP driver for it? I have encountered a variety of hardware compatibility issues with XP. Particularly with their generic drivers.

This link should get you a Windows XP driver for it:

http://www.samsung.com/download/Mode...e=DR&language=

If it is an issue with the monitor (man, who would have thought of that in the first place), then finding a proper XP driver was what I was going to suggest but was beat to it!

Tragic, check nihil's link out and see what you get there...
    - Maverick

i've used xp before with this monitor and it worked fine.

the closest related lock thingy from the manual is OSD Lock/Unlock. it says 'Push and hold in
    the menu button for 10 secs or more to Lock the OSD'.... &
    ''Push and hold in the menu button for 10 secs or more to Unlock the OSD'... i tried that, no effect?

So you see a lot of white writing first?
    black screen.

oh no, i don't have the security software installed.

I installed the XP driver, but the 'control lock' box is still there.

If all you see is a black screen then that is probably the "quick boot" option set to "ON"

You will probably have to uninstall your monitor (Samsung) and re-install it, as your system will doubtless be using the Win XP "default" drivers.

You might try just removing the monitor in Control Panel, Add and Remove Hardware, then doing a cold re-boot..........Windows should then detect new hardware and search for a driver. It should find the Samsung drivers (remember to unpack them first, if they are compressed)

If that does not work then you will have to delete the monitor, use the Add Hardware option, and point it to the correct drivers.

In that respect, does it show the correct sort of monitor (Samsung551s) or "generic?

Can you try the Samsung on a different computer to see if it is a problem with the monitor device itself, or the environment.

how do i go about uninstalling my monitor...? i don't remember seeing 'add or remove hardware' on the control panel for XP. so, i tried from Device Manager, and uninstall it, & the next reboot.. it's still detected. hrm?

Please try the ADD hardware option

You might just unplug the monitor................power off...........reboot with no monitor............leave a minute or two, then attach monitor and reboot again

Happy New Year