What is RSS?

Thread: What is RSS?

Question What is RSS?

Can any body tell me what is RSS? Why popular sites are having a link in orange box written RSS or XML? What are its advantages. How this is used by users.

I can see only the HTML like stuff? Help me...

Short for RDF Site Summary or Rich Site Summary, an XML format for syndicating Web content. A Web site that wants to allow other sites to publish some of its content creates an RSS document and registers the document with an RSS publisher. A user that can read RSS-distributed content can use the content on a different site. Syndicated content includes such data as news feeds, events listings, news stories, headlines, project updates, excerpts from discussion forums or even corporate information.

RSS was originally developed by Netscape.
    source: www.webopedia.com

If you use an rss utility, you can bookmark and rss feed.
    When you go look at the bookmark, it will give you current content.

firefox has a rss feed utility built in (the 1.0 version). However, I don't like that one much and prefer the sage firefox plugin. http://sage.mozdev.org/

For instance. The AO RSS feed will have threads that are most recently active. It is only updated hourly IIRC. So, You will have active threads within the hour.

theregister.co.uk's RSS feed has latest news. etc.

It is really a quick way to see if anything catches your eye before you visit the site.
    Its kind of like your "digital crystal ball"
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

RSS is a format for syndicating news and the content of news-like sites, including major news sites like Wired, news-oriented community sites like Slashdot, and personal weblogs. But it's not just for news. Pretty much anything that can be broken down into discrete items can be syndicated via RSS: the "recent changes" page of a wiki, a changelog of CVS checkins, even the revision history of a book. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way.
    Taken from XML.com

Google Search: RSS

Hope this helps.
    -- Be a part of the team! Join Protochaderin and help us build the game you want to play! --
    - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/devlogo2.gif -